To Wash, or Not to Wash... That is the Question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2003, 12:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post To Wash, or Not to Wash... That is the Question.

this question is for halloweenking, but anyone else with opinions in this, please respond.

HK, i thought you mentioned in a previous post that weekly washing of your car's exterior is not recommended. i wondered how often you would suggest. perhaps only when it gets dirty?

i've always washed frequently (weekly) because of fears that dirt may "bond" to the paint if let go too long. i usually use a system of half power wash & half hand wash at a nearby washing bay. here's my process:

1) pull into bay, roll up windows, get supplies (bucket, sponge, soaps, cloths, etc.) out of car.

2) deposit just enough $$ to get a minute or two of water out of the hose. i soak the car all over (gently), and fill up my bucket. i use the last of the water to blast my tires, wheels, and up under the bumpers, fenders and frame.

3) use concentrated cleaner on wet rag to get off tough dirt like bugs, tar, and oil.

4) remove fender skirts, and lay aside.

5) add soap to my bucket, then wash the entire car body, bumpers, and skirts with the sponge.

6) deposit more $$ and use the "foaming broom" to wash my wheels and tires, then use remaining time to jet water onto the body and skirts to remove soap and dirt, and clean my sponge.

7) get cursed at by carwash attendant, who points out that i should be using my bucket and sponge out in the sun, not in the bay - even though no one's behind me, half the bays are still empty, and i spend twice the $$ as everyone else during each visit.

8) point the hose in the direction of the attendant and point out the above facts, warning him that if he gives me a hard time, i'll write a letter to the owner, mention his name lots of times, and have everyone i know boycott the wash.

9) use squeegee to dry body, windows, bumpers, and skirts. then use westly's bleachwhite to hit the tires. wipe tires and wheels clean with fresh rags.

10) replace fender skirts. use chrome polish on bumpers. drive with pride till the sun sets.

i've done this every week during the summer months for 3 years. i'm worried about damaging the paint, as i already have a few small chips and some areas of oxidation.

HK or anyone else want to give some tips? paint jobs are expensive. i want my red coat to last for as long as possible. maybe instead of washing i should be dusting?

i also wax the car with zymol, usually once a year at the beginning of spring or whenever i notice the water not beeding up. i store her covered, on jack stands, in the garage during the winter.

any tips or help would be appreciated. thanks.

[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: 98rocket ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2003, 12:29 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Thumbs up

Not HK, but here's my $.02.... I wash whenever it gets real dirty.... as long as you have a) Buffed to a great shine b)Protected all parts with a good wax, rubber protectant, aluminum polish etc. and c)Not rubbed any dirt into the paint with a chamois or rag... it will last well. I use a duster when it gets dirty and if the dirt has 'stuck' to the paint I use paint cleaning clay like Griot's or Meguire's. Washing a sleek car is like caressing a woman.... it is fun and a pleasure to experience....
Old 04-18-2003, 12:55 PM

thanks dragon j. i'll look into one of those clay bars.

by the way, i noticed your photo album some time ago, and wanted to say that is one sweet henry j. your ride is one of the better looking and more unique ideas i've seen. NICE looking engine bay, and is that a custom sound system peeking out from the trunk?

awesome car, dragon.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Thanks rocket! Yeah- 6disc 12"subs and I teach school....!!! I always use Griot's products- clay bar, polish, wax and it has stayed looking like you see it for over 4 years now and many, many miles!!!! Good cruising to ya!
Old 04-18-2003, 01:59 PM

same to you dragon. hey, i've also got a 6-disc, with amplified separates in custom kick panels. no subs.

oh, i teach as well - part time evening instructor at a private college here in ohio. my students are constantly threatening to "steal my car". hope that doesn't happen to either of us!
Old 04-19-2003, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

LOL! Yeah, some have said they want it for a Prom ride... I give them rides on the weekend if I'm out 'testing' something and they now have a waiting list... it's cool when they appreciate what you do!!
Old 04-19-2003, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Before i started my rebuild, i was washing my car up to twice a week. I would wet the whole car with light spray. Then using car wash and water in a bucket and go over the entire car using a sponge. i then used a bug or tar remover on any real tough grime and then washed with soapy water. I then hosed the car down with light spray and used a chamoise to dry. Then using a soft cloth and a wax/polish liquid, polished the car and wiped off with another soft cloth. I would then do the windows with windex and paper towels.

The polish/wax stoped any stone chips from rusting and everyone commented on the shine, thinking i used something fancy, but it was just that i put in the extra effort to do it properly.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:17 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i so fear rust from water that collects under my tempest's rear window moulding that i never wash it unless it's filthy and i take it out of the garage on a sunny day where the water has a chance to evaporate. i am going to urathane around the entire moulding asap to keep water out. hopefully none will get in cause then it will never come out. i've heard some say that it looks ugly, but the alternative is rust, or blowing it out until dry with air everytime i take it out, since it rains virtually every day around here. i urathaned around the taillights of my 72 camaro cause water runs into the trunk around them and it looks fine. (water still gets in some how) i use cotton rags and dish soap to wash, a california wiper blade, then an absorber. never waxed. was told not to and it doesnt need it (base coat-clear coat). my truck i wash after i go muddin and never have to otherwise, (see rain)
Old 04-22-2003, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

I usually do a light rinse much more frequently between proper washes. I want my car clean free of dirt but I donít want to subject it to a heavy wash and possibly strip off any wax.

I simply use one of those cheap car-washing brushes with a rotating middle section that attach to a hose. The brush on mine is very soft and will not scratch or trap dirt and I just use plain water without soap. In less than ten minutes I can clean off the film of dirt and have it dry.

When I was a teenager I worked at a garage pumping gas. We had a funeral home up the road and they came to us for gas. Their cars were washed every single day so they never asked us to wash the windows. Somebody at the time pointed out to me how the daily washings took a toll on the exterior of the car. You could see the small scratches that the daily washings were leaving in the paint. They had to have a new paint job every couple of years to restore the finish.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:30 PM

good stuff guys, thanks.

bullheimer: i know what you mean about the water. my olds drains the water off pretty well, but i once had a '76 chrysler that sucked water up like a sponge. rusted out in just a couple of years.

one time, however, i noticed water dripping onto the dash in the olds from the top of the windshield. i used silicone gasket maker to seal off the entire windshield trim piece from the OUTSIDE. you can't see a thing, and it hasn't leaked since.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:15 AM

Hello All. I work at a detail shop and what we do is wash our cars, most of the time, once a week. We wash everything by hand. One thing to stay away from is car washes in a bottle with wax. They can ruin a good finish. Also, for a great finish, clay your car. Get a clay bar and a lubricant and have at it. Just remember to keep the clay "clean". Fold it and squeeze it and start in a new spot. After the claying the paint will need a good wax job also. If you have time buff it before you wax it. I would give about 8 hours to do all this. It is definatly worth all the work. Over all though I would wash a car once a week just to prevent dirt and stuff from piling up and scratching up the car. Hope this is helpful!

[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: chevracing ]</p>
Old 05-10-2003, 06:57 AM
HEAD GREASEWHORE

Last journal entry: More
Last photo:

After washing your car.. (and this is only a womans opinion of course) I always spray Furniture polish after buffng with wax.. IT actually repels dirt and dust! I have used it for years especially before car shows.... it leaves a better shine when used with car wax, and the dirt and bugs just won't stick ! Another woman told me this secret at a car show.. her husband always left the "shining to her" and he said that it actually saves on the paint too!
Old 05-10-2003, 11:25 PM
www.airriderz.com

I just resand and re apply my DP 90....Ha ha.. Gota love the primer paint jobs....
Old 05-11-2003, 07:02 PM

paint the car white!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.