washed 396?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 08:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

washed 396??

Hey guys i just bought a 396 engine from a guy that rebuilt the engine. forged pistons,comp cam 280, roller rockers, anyways He said that when he started the motor to break it in it shot gas out the carb. (alot) he finally got it running but he said he couldnt get it to idle or adjust the valves.. well it looks like some of the cam (still in engine) is worn a little.. he said he drove it around the block but it was running rough... he had another guy tell him he "washed" the motor so he pulled it out and bought a crate motor.. Could i get by with just replacing the cam and running it? He sold me the motor for 200 bucks with a new comp cam to put in and 750 holley. (the guy has money and just wanted it out of his garage) can this be fixed? how bad is a washed engine?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 09:03 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

your safest bet is to porable tear down the entire motor and check it over, maybe even send the block to the machine shop. totaly inspecting the whole motor would be the only way i would put it in something, if the cam whiped there is the poisibilty of metal througout the motor..
Old 09-10-2005, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

most diffenly...tear it down..inspect it all find the problem if any...just guessing will make it worse...even new bearing and gaskets are around 150.00....
Old 09-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The cam being "worn a little" doesn`t say much, The cam will have some wear, as all flat tappet cams do, they have to wear in, this is part of the break in process. The cylinders being washed can be a problem as it can cause accelerated ring wear. the engine running rough could have been for many reasons, and those reasons may or may not have anything to do with the cam or the rings. If the engine isn`t even broke in good and it sounds like it`s not, then I would drain the oil and screen it to see if there`s any excessive metal in it, I would also cut the filter to check it for the same, if it looked okay and metal was at a minimum, I would just do a oil and filter change, tune it properly and run it.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

HEY doublevision, thats what i thought i really have nothing to lose on this motor.. what is normal cam wear(visually) without removing the cam. He had allready drained the oil and removed filter when i got it .. the oil pan is still on though..
Old 09-13-2005, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

update*** i pulled out the camshaft and it has some major flat lobes.. 3 or 4 of the lifters were caved in,, i pulled off the oil pan and everything looks good including oil screen there is some small metal grey matter in the oil pan..Im gonna replace the camshaft and go with it. after a good cleaning.. by the way the rocker nuts were almost impossible to get off ... they were that tight...

Last edited by pi71; 09-13-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

"Rocker Bolts"???

....If you mean rocker studs, there's no reason to take them out. If you did, then they need to be cleaned and put back in with locktite and torqued. I don't know the torque spec on rocker studs.
....If you mean rocker nuts, then that may have been the reason for the rough running and the flat cam...Rockers adjusted too tight.
JA
Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

run it,check oil pressure, dont let it run hot,
Old 09-13-2005, 09:42 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

If you have the oil filter that was on the engine you should cut it open and take a look at it. If the cam and lifters were worn that bad then the filter is probably full of shavings. If the shavings are small enough then they will pass right through the pickup screen. You should take a look at the bearings too, the shavings can/will embed themsevles in the bearings. Make sure they are still in good shape. Not to mention the shavings passing through the oil pump...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.