WATCH OUT buying cheap tools! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged03 View Post
You move to a new town with only two barbers. One has a nice shop. Clean floors. Never a wait. He has a good haircut. The other guy's shop is cluttered. He's always rushing, yet he always has guys waiting. His haircut looks like someone used a bowl.

Which one do you use?

Who do you think cuts the hair of the barber with the nice cut?
the guy who gives a better haircut!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 05:44 AM

Last journal entry: Volkswagen V8 Squareback project.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
It's trial and error. I took all my sockets home cause the boss has the exact same craftsman ratchets/sockets and saw a coupon for a free ratchet and socket set at HF...you couldn't pay me to use them! They're still sitting on my box collecting dust. The sockets don't even have the dimple inside to hold sockets. Sometimes I work on very expensive cars and as soon as I figured out the sockets fall right off the extension/tool I stopped using them. So I then just got the premium brand of Craftsman ratchets, which are expensive. To me it's always better to go thru the trial and error instead of buying the best of the best for every single thing. It reminds me of newbs who get the HF English wheel and before even using it they get info on-line and then they're talking about using dial indicators and making the wheel true. REALLY? Maybe they should work up sort of skill at it before caring about all that stuff. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, back in the '80's, I was a Snap-On dealer, and proud of it. Now, I hear many of their tools are made in china.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 AM

Last journal entry: 1939 Chevy Master Deluxe New Project(3)
Last photo:

I'm retired now (and loving it) but when I worked for a state municipality I kept 2 sets of tools. My main (good) set was the one that I started building, off of the "tool trucks", when I started at the dealerships back in the 60's. At one time I owed more to the tool men than I owed on my house!

The other set was comprised, mainly, of HF and other cheap catalogue tools back in the day. EVERYONE in the shop worked the same way. Everybody had to take their turn either working the road truck (3 month stint) and working nights at the landfill Either one, ur going to lose tools. If i dropped a snap-on, Mac, Matco, Cornwell socket at the dump, I'd spend an hour digging through the worst filth you can imagine looking for it. Drop a HF socket, no problem, not worth it to go looking of it, just get another from the box.

I still have a some of those HF tools, they are the one that go to when the neighbor needs to borrow a wrench
Old 10-31-2013, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyman View Post
I'm retired now (and loving it) but when I worked for a state municipality I kept 2 sets of tools. My main (good) set was the one that I started building, off of the "tool trucks", when I started at the dealerships back in the 60's. At one time I owed more to the tool men than I owed on my house!

The other set was comprised, mainly, of HF and other cheap catalogue tools back in the day. EVERYONE in the shop worked the same way. Everybody had to take their turn either working the road truck (3 month stint) and working nights at the landfill Either one, ur going to lose tools. If i dropped a snap-on, Mac, Matco, Cornwell socket at the dump, I'd spend an hour digging through the worst filth you can imagine looking for it. Drop a HF socket, no problem, not worth it to go looking of it, just get another from the box.

I still have a some of those HF tools, they are the one that go to when the neighbor needs to borrow a wrench
Yeah, you were a tool man's dream. I remember when a Matco man "invaded" my territory. What I did was tell the mechanics that bought from him, that I would pay off their bill to him and then sell them all Snap-On. That way, they only had one tool man, ME, to deal with. May have been dirty pool, but it worked. As a matter of fact, in 1982, I set an all time record, with Snap-On, for the most amount of tool sales in one week. I sold $47,000 worth of tools in one week. I made over $14,000 profit.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
I bought a HF gas hose set for my small portable tanks on my wrecker. The hoses on the setup were over twenty years old and had been repaired quite a few times and brittle on the outer hose.. Man those new hoses looked good... One year later they were faded to grey and the outer hose, near the tanks, was turning to hard powder.. No more HF hoses for me..
I am with you, like I have said I don't buy much from there but damn it, money is tight so I will give it a look. My tool box at work is a perfect example, it is doing a great job for me there. Now, if someone wants to rip it open they can, probably with their bare hands, my hundred dollar tool box has about a thousand dollars in tools in it! But it's doing a good job keeping all my tools clean.

I will pickup something now and then and after this hose fiasco I am going to be looking at it with a much more cautious eye.

Life is too short for this crap.

Brian
Old 10-31-2013, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Square View Post
Yeah, you were a tool man's dream. I remember when a Matco man "invaded" my territory. What I did was tell the mechanics that bought from him, that I would pay off their bill to him and then sell them all Snap-On. That way, they only had one tool man, ME, to deal with. May have been dirty pool, but it worked. As a matter of fact, in 1982, I set an all time record, with Snap-On, for the most amount of tool sales in one week. I sold $47,000 worth of tools in one week. I made over $14,000 profit.
WOW U weren't in the Maryland/Washington DC area were you? At one point, in the early 70's, I owed over $7,000 JUST TO MARC, MY SNAP-ON MAN! I think that my yearly income then was a little over $12,000 and I purchased my first home for 19,000
Old 10-31-2013, 09:06 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

here's a good example...

Snap On 52" tool box=$2000+

Mac 55" tool box=$2000+

Craftsman 54"= $1000+

Harbor Freight 55" tool box= $300

I've seen all these tool boxes and The HF box I have(55" box) is MUCH better than the Craftsman box and just as good as any other I've seen. Maybe if I stood around my tool box all day after buffing it, one day I could see why I would pay thousands more for a name brand box. I made a great decision to go HF.

The point??? Ask around. You'll get great honest advice if you seek out opinions first. For the cheap stuff it won't hurt much going thru the trial and error. And let's be honest here, YOU'RE NOT GONNA SAVE AMERICA BY BUYING USA ONLY. The problem is in Washington period.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
V8Square (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

I have to tell you Henry, there is a big difference in the security of that tool truck box and the HF box, a BIG difference. I have both, and there is a big difference. But again, it all depends on what we personally feel is important to us. At home the HF is PLENTY absolutely. The funny thing is, I have the HF at work and the MAC at home. I know one thing, I sure am glad I bought that MAC box years ago when it was "only" $1200, I have most certainly gotten my moneys worth out of it.

Brian
Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Yes, there is a big difference in tool boxes. For example, when I was a Snap-On dealer, I rented a space at a very large, indoor car show in St.Louis. I pulled in my tool truck and set up shop. I had every tool box that Snap-On carried at the time. One we called "Big Bertha" It actually had a tow hitch on it. I would demo how strong the drawers, on all boxes, were by opening them up, all the way and standing in the drawer. Mind you, I am 6'2", 250 pounds and the drawers did not flex and rolled smoothly closed again. I sold all my toolboxes I had displayed plus took quite a bit of orders for more. Very productive weekend. But I would much rather sell a cardboard box full of tools, like a starter set, etc. as it was much easier and a much better profit margin.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

I have a Snap On top and bottom box that I purchased in 1968, still use it everyday. My wife bought me a Craftsman bottom box around the same time that I used only for working on Corvairs. That Craftsman box went to the dump years ago completely worn out

If you WORK with it, I mean work with it, the quality comes through. For instance, when I was a line mechanic, every minute counted, you really don't have time to be working on a drawer that is sticking or is just plain worn out because I've opened it, and closed it with a push from my hip. Like I said, I have HF tools, but I know where to draw the line.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

I used to tell my employees and students to buy the best tools they could afford. If they were going to make their living with the tools, they wanted something that was quality and that they could count on. You can't make money if you're sitting idle waiting for the tool truck or out of the shop at the local store.

Now, there are a few tools that I have from HF that I know, if I'm lucky, I'll only use once or twice a year. I don't have a problem, depending what it is, on buying something like that from HF.

All that being said, I have a neighbor who is one helluva mechanic. He also has the cheesiest hodge-podge of tools I've ever laid eyes on. Go figure.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

It's like I have said, damn it, I am worth it! I am MILES from frivolous with my money, nor do I have a lot to spend. Which is why I ended up over at HF for that torch hose. And I learned my lesson to REALLY watch out for the cheap stuff. But as mentioned, when making a living I feel I need as best possible to not wear out my body. Like wearing eye and ear protection and respirators and gloves, using quality tools to make my life easier is important to me.

I have a mixture of tools, S&K impact sockets, Craftsmen 1/4" sockets (metric) because they have a thinner wall and get into tight spaces and don't NEED to be super strong. I loose them every once in a while and in fact have a back up 8 and 10mm in the box being they are so inexpensive I can do that. I also have a number of sets of Gear wrenches, but I sure as heck don't use them in high torque situations! For that I have ONLY SnapOn and a lot of them from 7mm to about 38mm and those suckers are expensive, those larger wrenches were $70-90 each! But damn it, I am worth it! I have all Snap On and Mac ratchets, wouldn't use anything else, even at home. Screw drivers, again, all SnapOn and Mac wouldn't think for a second to use anything else I could do that, there is a HUGE demand for them.

Hammers and dollies, all the highest of quality. I have a couple from HF at home and they are "ok" very seldom used.

Overall 70% of my tools are the highest of quality with the remaining 30% being a mixture. Like I said, I just feel my body is worth it, and yes I see a difference in most all of them. Over the years, I am damn glad I bought the better stuff.
If I needed the money after I retire and don't need them anymore (yes there is often a time in our lives when we won't be touching a wrench) I could sell my tools for thousands and thousands of dollars. Try that with the HF, they are worthless. For that matter you can trade off quality tools you don't use for others. I have done that even with the tool guy. I traded in my old smaller quality tool box for the one I have now used for 25 years. I have traded many of my tools for others over the years, because they were the best.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 10-31-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have a Snap On top and bottom box that I purchased in 1968, still use it everyday. My wife bought me a Craftsman bottom box around the same time that I used only for working on Corvairs. That Craftsman box went to the dump years ago completely worn out

If you WORK with it, I mean work with it, the quality comes through. For instance, when I was a line mechanic, every minute counted, you really don't have time to be working on a drawer that is sticking or is just plain worn out because I've opened it, and closed it with a push from my hip. Like I said, I have HF tools, but I know where to draw the line.
I still have my Snap-On, three drawer, plus area for two more drawers on bottom, that I used as a line mechanic with Volkswagen dealerships. Bought it in 1970
Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:

the HF drawers have bearings and two sliders on each side. The drawers close no differently than my blue point box, which is a Snap on box.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:03 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I have 2 sets of tools, the junkyard crawl/helping a friend tools, and my good, don't ask to borrow them tools..
And I'm sorry, I looked at the H.F. tool storage boxes for a hobby box or a home box, or I'm just starting out.. ya they are ok. but for something to count on as my bread and butter, no way, the locks are junk, the base where the casters mount are iffie at best, for the DIY person that needs something to store tools so they can find them, it's fine.. but to trust my tools to that lock in a shop. that's a tall order..

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.