WATCH OUT buying cheap tools! - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013, 12:06 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

h/f tool boxes are ok for home use, I have one of the 5 draw tool carts, it's ok but there is no way it'll hold the 550 lb it claims it will.. it was a nice give and will work for bringing tools out to car in driveway.. but in no way is like even the low lines of snap on.. my dads snap on box he's had for as long as I've been on this earth, it's at his house now, the top box moved to a work bench and the lower box has 3) intertrashional 460 v8's sitting on it.. it's 6' long.
for the guys using their tools daily and for their paycheck.. the buy in of a snap on/mac/cornwell box is money well spent.. as they'll last longer than you.
I find grangers has casters for about the same cost as h/f and don't seem to fail as fast.. think wife payed 15 bucks each for the 10" air filled casters and 19 for the swivel ones each (h/f)and I built a cart for her gardening to carry the 25-50 lb bags of soil/mulch/cow crap/etc they lasted a season before the ball bearings started to fall out of the swivel fronts.. but you get what you pay for, wife bought a hammer from there the handles plastic not fiberglass, plastic, like a kids toy.. I'd be scare to use the 4-5" angle grinder cut off wheels, I can see those shattering into pieces.. told wife to take them back.. sadly most everywhere else is carrying the same junk to keep prices close to h/f and others.. that to get good tools you have to flag down a tool truck or buy on line.. I guess it makes sense for the person that might use tools a few times a year,, but if you want tools you have for a lifetime h/f isn't the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Just today I returned a HF 4.5 inch grinder that quit working. I had purchased two originally for $10 each with the additional two-year warranty. They replaced it under the warranty and I bought an additional one for $10 with a coupon.

I have a Dewalt grinder that I bought for close to $100 about ten years ago. It still works fine, but I'd be hard pressed to shell out $300 for three more to have so I don't have to swap out brushes and wheels all of the time. For $10 a pop, I can use the HF grinders and throw them away like used-up cut-off wheels.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged03 View Post
Just today I returned a HF 4.5 inch grinder that quit working. I had purchased two originally for $10 each with the additional two-year warranty. They replaced it under the warranty and I bought an additional one for $10 with a coupon.

I have a Dewalt grinder that I bought for close to $100 about ten years ago. It still works fine, but I'd be hard pressed to shell out $300 for three more to have so I don't have to swap out brushes and wheels all of the time. For $10 a pop, I can use the HF grinders and throw them away like used-up cut-off wheels.
LOL. You have made the mistake of buying the cheap blue 10 dollar Drill Master grinder. Step up and buy the expensive 15 dollar orange Chicago Electric one. I have 5 of them and most of them are 7-8 years old. 15 times 5 is still only 75 dollars.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Pretty sure the orange grinders are discontinued. The new ones are red and black and a bit different but I have one and it still works like the old orange ones
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

what it all comes down to is your work. It's either good or it isn't. I'll use whatever tool I choose to get the job done. Is there more of an issue of DIY'ers not having the right tools over the importance of doing it right? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. I think if you stay open to good and cheap tools you end up ahead at the end of the month.

Last edited by tech69; 11-11-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
what it all comes down to is your work. It's either good or it isn't. I'll use whatever tool I choose to get the job done. Is there more of an issue of DIY'ers not having the right tools over the importance of doing it right? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. I think if you stay open to good and cheap tools you end up ahead at the end of the month.
are you ahead if you have to replace the same tool over and over again?
not really... but to each their own..
sadly h/d is bringing down tool quality everywhere. as they all try to not be so much higher in price that it's all becoming junk..
if the cheap stuff works for you fine.. but if you stay in the bodyman field don't be surprised when you've spent more replacing cheaper tools than paying more for a quality piece..
Old 11-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
It looks like you are somehow taking this discussion personal. We are talking about how good tools are easier to work with and last longer, what does that have to do with a bacon cheese burger being greasy? We ALL have some of these cheapie tools, I have some, I used a couple of them over the weekend, I have my tools in a cheapie tool box at work. There are many guys on this forum who have them, producing awesome work including you. None of us are judging anyone's work or passion or anything else by how much they spent on their tools.

FACT: A Harbor Freight MIG pliers won't work as good as a Forney.

Brian
Old 11-11-2013, 01:01 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

the problem I have is the ones that buy by price are the same ones that are the loudest when channel lock or vise grip move the factory over the boarder and someones buddy,brother,cus lost their job..
REMEMBER YOU ARE FEEDING THAT MONSTER
Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It looks like you are somehow taking this
scussion personal. We are talking about how good tools are easier to work with and last longer, what does that have to do with a bacon cheese burger being greasy? We ALL have some of these cheapie tools, I have some, I used a couple of them over the weekend, I have my tools in a cheapie tool box at work. There are many guys on this forum who have them, producing awesome work including you. None of us are judging anyone's work or passion or anything else by how much they spent on their tools.

FACT: A Harbor Freight MIG pliers won't work as good as a Forney.

Brian
I'm just saying, I think it's better to stay open to getting deals on tools. you've got guys who buff terrible who might go thinking they're gonna buff a car to their liking by just getting a new buffer, but that's not the case, and never will be.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
the problem I have is the ones that buy by price are the same ones that are the loudest when channel lock or vise grip move the factory over the boarder and someones buddy,brother,cus lost their job..
REMEMBER YOU ARE FEEDING THAT MONSTER
which makes it YOUR problem. I got my woodward fab china bead roller cause I don't make 100k a year to be able to afford a motorized one. I'm still putting more into this than I'm getting back. I'm not gonna be a slave to my tool box or what's in it. If you want to, go right ahead!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Harbor Freight Pittsburg Impact Swivels

Finished up a transmission job on my daily driver truck Saturday. I have the incredible luck to have a close friend who owns a transmission shop. I pulled the transmission at his shop for him to bench overhaul. Used his tools to pull it. Brought a small box of my own tools to put it back in. Had recently picked up some impact swivels from HF 3/8 & 1/2. The 3/8 lasted for one bolt driven by a snap-on 3/8 battery powered impact wrench, flew to pieces on the second bolt. The pin material just ain't what a snap-on or others is, it looks identical to the high dollar stuff. Beware.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

You get what u pay for, end of story. The cheap stuff bends like a musk stick, won't perform accurately, leaks, or simply won't last. That's the long and the short of it - period.

PS. Buy cheap toilet paper and the like, if u like, that's a different story....

Duke
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
which makes it YOUR problem. I got my woodward fab china bead roller cause I don't make 100k a year to be able to afford a motorized one. I'm still putting more into this than I'm getting back. I'm not gonna be a slave to my tool box or what's in it. If you want to, go right ahead!
you don't see the bigger picture..
think about it.. as places close up. or move because they can't make whatever here.. as the imported junk is less retail than they can build it for.. more loose job's ONLY THING KEEPING THIS FROM BLOWING UP IN OUR FACES< IS UNEMPLOYMENT AND WELFARE..
we are almost BROKE.. when that pig runs dry.. and all these people now have zero, no money/no food/no roof over head.. you'll see what monster you've help make..
one of two things are going to happen we are going to run out of money to pay all these people that have been displaced or they are going to be FORCED to raise taxes. and it will not be a small raise.. YOU living in Cali that's just about bankrupt.. can't see whats coming.. whatever you saved buying junk and helping force another company to close it's doors you'll pay 100x more for it through taxes.. sadly you and many others can't see past their face..
Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 AM
Nostalgic Racing Decals

Last photo:

It's hard to know what to purcahse.

Today so many things are made outside of this country that it is becoming harder and harder to know what to buy.

I know a major racing parts supplier who now purchases many of their products outside this country but they started doing this for a much different reason.

The parts they purchased are a casting for an engine part and out of every 100 they received almost 60% were not up to their standards and could not be used.

They are now getting the exact same part make outside this country and they no longer have the problems with more castings.

Is it wrong on their part to want to find better quality parts?

I won't mention their name but their sales are in the millions of dollars.

I thought I did a good thing purchasing a New Chevrolet truck until I saw the sticker that said made in Mexico on it.

Some stores like HF sell tools from outside the USA but does that mean everything they sell is junk? I don't think so

We all have to make up our own minds when buying anything from clothes to tools.

Remember when many things at Walmart said "made in the U.S.A."

Whenever this country is in a recession people try and stretch their money as far as it can go and I cannot blame them for trying to survive.

Many body shops and car repair shops are in the same boat and trying to tell which new fender was made in this country and which one was made outside this country can only be determined by the price they are paying.

I think we all want to purchase products made in this country but it's getting harder trying to figure that out.

Just my opinion. Jimbo
Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

We are, in the US, in a dilemma. It's about whether you want something or not. Yes, you might be able to find the same item with made in the USA stamped on it, but at what cost to you in time and actual cash outlay. The much admired Snap-on tools are one example. There are some that still say made in USA, but there are getting to be more and more that don't have that stamp. Go to your local steel supplier - much will say Canada or Korea (actually much of the Canadian steel is from Korea, but rolled in Canada). What can we as individuals do about that? At this point, not very dang much since almost all major manufacturing has become international - and it does have to do with the bottom line and pure survival as a company. Like Gearhead in several posts keeps saying to buy American. I agree with him. Unfortunately it just cannot be done. Look at your automobile. Parts come from everywhere - and at the lowest cost possible so that it will still be sold to people at something close to reasonable. Why have companies done this - union labor costs mostly. That is hourly wages, health care, other benefits then add in the costs of pension funds. Those are the underlying reasons why GM and Chrysler failed with the government bailout that is still costing all of us every time we send the IRS some of our tax dollars. Those benefits were negotiated - but the unions WILL NOT give up a nickles worth to save an industry, automobile, clothing or other goods. Am I anti union? Not really, I'm anti corruption and corrupt is exactly what many unions have become. Think of how union dues are spent. Not really benefiting the worker are they when so many of the dollars are spent on political programs. Oh well, we allowed our politicians of the past to make sweetheart deals with other countries, just try to get them thrown out or changed. 'nuff said by me. I'll buy what and where for what I need - it's w-a-a-a-y beyond any control I can change beyond the voting booth and speaking to NY's government officials (with the exception of Upchuck Shumer and Giggles Gillibrand) which I do regularly.

Dave W

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.