Watchin Gas Monkey - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat View Post
I just wonder where those huge piles of cash he throws around, comes from,, probably play money...
My understanding is that Rawlings owned Lincoln Press, and sold it. Took the money he got for Lincoln and used it to start buying and selling cars, and was having the bearded guy do work for him. Then he decided to hire him and start a garage to buy-sell-build cars to sell. And the TV show was just another source of revenue for him to cover his losses.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I take it that Lincoln Press is a newspaper ? or?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
I take it that Lincoln Press is a newspaper ? or?
Lincoln Press is a printing company. They do all kinds of print work, but not newspapers.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

My favorate part is the asian "upolster" women ,she has a pretty good hold on reality......AS# monkeys...they crazy...dey do crazy stuff ALL da time....that why eveyone call dem As# monkey.....she needs a show of her own...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
dinger (07-10-2013), LATECH (07-07-2013), NEW INTERIORS (07-08-2013), tech69 (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

DB ... I woke up today with that thought in my head.
She is a hoot.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
My favorate part is the asian "upolster" women ,she has a pretty good hold on reality......AS# monkeys...they crazy...dey do crazy stuff ALL da time....that why eveyone call dem As# monkey.....she needs a show of her own...
Seems the women on the show are the smartest, and most believeable of all the characters! The little blonde who works in the office (Christy?) is sharp, and way too smart to be working for them! The upholsterer seems to have them pegged too!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Welp, as seen as they have a show, and went to a bigger shop. and none of us have a show or can afford that big a shop.. they are laugh'n all the way to the bank..
It's entertainment.. some seem to forget that..
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

On a side note, IIRC Rawlings and a co-driver/navigator (Deniis somebody) also hold the world record for the cannonball run, 31 hrs, 59 minutes. Which I am sure he got a pile of money for, and he and his co-driver had a side bet with the previous record holder. I don't remember the amount of the side bet but I remember it was a pile (something like $50 G ish). I am trying to find a link to it so I can get the numbers exact, not that I care much for the show, just don't like posting something without the correct info. As for the show, it is somewhat interesting, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could be successful being so frivilous with cash. On the other hand if the numbers they show are real, he has lost his ***** on several occasions, but he also has made piles of it too, so IDK.

Kelly

Last edited by carolinacustoms; 07-07-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Ok sorry, I finally found the link and he and Dennis Collins may or may not hold the record at 31 hours and 59 minutes, there is apparently a lot of arguing about the details of where they left etc, but the former record holders did pay up on the bet of $50,000 that Rawlings and Collins would beat the standing record, so I guess it's officially unofficial? Anyway per the internet (so take it for what its worth) Rawlings has a net worth of around 8 million and I don't know hwat Collins is worth but I am pretty sure that was the guy that funded the Ferrari purchase on the show a few weeks ago.

" In May, Richard Rawlings and Dennis Collins of Texas said they drove a 1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello, on a bet, from Midtown Manhattan to the Portofino Inn and Yacht Club in Redondo Beach, Calif., in 31:59. They said they covered 2,811 miles at an average speed of 87.6 m.p.h."

For what its worth.....
Kelly
Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

the guy seems to be a huge gambler and that's pretty entertaining. His little one liners about getting a beer crack me up. I love the show. You can't flip cars and be successful if you let your pride get in the way. You sell runners not show cars. I bet a lot of those cars that do look nice on TV screens probably look like crap in person.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

I loved the episode a while back when they did the model A rat rod. The way they took the glass out was with hammers and then had no patterns to go by when the new ones were cut. It cost him an extra $500 to have all new ones cut the second time as the others would not fit. Damn fools......
Old 07-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That is what I mean. Wasted parts, wasted time.They wasted a really great car, the Model A, it would have been better if they washed it and made it run, and sold it that way.
Made no sense what they did to that car.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
That is what I mean. Wasted parts, wasted time.They wasted a really great car, the Model A, it would have been better if they washed it and made it run, and sold it that way.
Made no sense what they did to that car.
yet they have a show, and he is worth 400million+
must be doing something right
Old 07-08-2013, 03:45 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
yet they have a show, and he is worth 400million+
must be doing something right
Maybe he started with $400 mil.....According to this, it aint quite that now....

Richard Rawlings Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

"$8 Million

Richard Rawlings net worth: Richard Rawlings is an American car builder, cross-country racer, and television personality with an estimated net worth of $8 million dollars. Born in Fort Worth, Texas, Richard Rawlings began building cars and going to car shows with his father when he was a child. He began buying his own cars when he was 14, and went on to work as a firefighter, paramedic, police officer, and finally, owner and operator of his own printing and advertising company. He sold his printing company in order to launch Gas Monkey Garage, which has since become a world-famous hot rod shop with clients all over the world. Gas Monkey, and the various cars that Rawlings, finds, buys, or is given, to restore, are the subject of the new Discovery Channel series, "Fast N' Loud". The show began airing in June of 2012, and features Mr. Rawlings, and his co-workers, Aaron Kaufman, KC Mathieu, and Scot McMillan."

Budget RVs
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanx to all the interest generated on and by this site, I decided to try watching an episode. I lasted about (maybe) half-way through. My reaction was "Who could do business with that dude unless they are sleazy as he is?"

People who sell to him or buy from him, deserve whatever they get.

Personally, he across as someone I would never even shake hands with - I'd have to get my hand sterilized afterwards to feel clean again!

(And that's without watching long enough to find out what he did with that '63 Galaxie)
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.