Water alcohol injection questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Water alcohol injection questions

Hey everyone,

Well the blower project is going pretty good but it looks like I wont be using E85 as I planned. The gas stations around here that where selling it went out of business.

I'm leaning to water injection. My question is tuning with carburetors. I'm using 2 predators and was wondering how the water/alcohol would affect the tune? The Predators are set at about 13:1 but when the water/alcohol is injected i would guess it would bring the A/F ratio in the range of 12:1???? I was hoping to use one of the cheaper on/off kits and set it around 6-7psi.

I plan on running about 30% alcohol to 70% water (washer fluid) and about 10-12 lbs of boost with a compression ratio of 9.3-1 Its a 383 Chevy, vortec heads .037 quench XE 274H Cam with 1.6 roller rockers.

Lets here what you think.
Thanks,
Jordon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You would be better off lowering your compression than running water injection. If you want to fool with water injection later thats fine but running high compression with a blower is never a good idea and you can always up the drive ratio later.

What you are proposing is a band aid fix for a problem you can easily fix before you have the problem.

Didn't we have this discussion about gasoline and alchohol in an E85 thread before? In case it wasn't you, here's a synopsis.

They are two different fuels, they mix...but under heat and compression react differently in the chamber. They burn at different rates and no matter what you do its impossible to tune for both at the same time. Adding water to the mix is just another variable you don't need.

To make a long story short you don't want the hassle, build it for one fuel properly to begin with. If you need some water injection later to cure some high boost condition on the track thats fine. The alchohol is there only to keep the water from freezing, its not there to add octane.

Don't make a simple situation complicated, lower your compression. $300 worth of pistons and rings is way less than the hassle of getting some Frankenstein injection system dialed to work everyday in different temps, humidity etc.

OK?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I agree. water/meth injection (or for that matter, any injection; propane, nitrous, octane booster, etc) is great for race, but when you're out on the road and you run out of water while climbing a hill, you are done. It doesn't sound like a hassle, but it is. Then there will be that one time when it stops injecting because the pump failed, or the hose got that white bacteria in it, and you're beyond just stopping at the mini mart; you're done until you repair it.

Anything you have to add to compensate is a band-aid fix.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.