Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Water-Borne Paint Finishes
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 10:23 PM
IT'S MY JOB...

Wiki Edits: 0

Waterborne paint are becoming very common. Although this technology is quite old, the push to reduce VOC's and hazardous waste has the chemists scrambling to produce better products.
The East and West coasts have seen alot of this already. That also includes specific regulations on application equipment. I have been testing waterborne almost 5 years for two of the big boys in the states with pretty good luck. The major problems with waterborne are booth setup, application equipment and climate.
Booth setup is pretty basic... with waterborne, you don't need to worry so much about heat as you do with air movement over the panels. Application equipment is simple. CLIMATE is the killer..... If you have a shop that requires you to move the vehicle outside to get it to a different part of the shop for finish work.., you could have a mess on your hands.... Here in Minnesota it gets pretty
(BBrrrrrrrrrrrr) cold in the winter. The cold affects everyone that touches it........The freight hauler, the jobber and the re-finisher.
When it freezes it never seems to be the same.
As for the quality of the finish... Its nice. I receive new factory painted parts to abuse by repairing defects like dents and scratches to test repairability and I can tell you the colors are so much more brilliant and clean looking and the finish is very flat and durable (so far)............WOW CAN I RAMBLE ON........SORRY....

Bryan............