Water-Borne Paints! Coming to a Body Shop near You! - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Got to agree with everything you've said there Brian.

Apart from the drying issue (which may or may not be a problem, depending upon conditions), I can think of far more advantages than disadvantages. Come spring I'll be glad to be using it for my home work, but in the middle of winter I'm finding it a pain.

But yes, you have to work hard to get stripes or mottling, and blending has never been so easy. Although I might be generalising a bit, I find coverage/ hiding power is so much better too. For the brands I've used, the vast majority of colours only actually get one wet coat, being preceded by a dust coat, and followed by a light control / effect / drop coat, which both dry quickly. So providing you can get the wet coat dry in a reasonable time, application can be much faster (reducing the time dirt has got to settle into the paint).

Andy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

Talking to a body shop owner today , this subject just happened to come up . He said that living here in the north where right now its like 6 degrees, if the waterbourne paints freeze, it separates and curdles and is then no good. As far as i know , most trucks that deliver paint supplies are not heated. Just my 00.2 $
Old 01-06-2010, 02:06 PM

That's right. My paintroom has heated shelves to make sure the paint stays above freezing, but care has to be taken with transportation. One of the brands I used to use (Lechler) packed the plastic paint cans in around an inch of polystyrene insulation to avoid the issue, but I'm not sure how others do it.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
Man am I spoiled, I never even thought of that! Without a doubt there are a number of issues with waterborne that will be hard getting use to. One of them being the shelf life. I remember pulling mixing toners off mixing banks that were ten or more years old. You are not going to see that with waterborne!

Speaking of this, right this very minute our new Sikkens waterborne is being put in to replace the S-W system we had. I had to see S-W go, they have been good to us. But the waterborne system has some problems.

Brian
Old 01-06-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Man am I spoiled, I never even thought of that!
I'm trying to push the positives and steer away from the negatives

Out of interest, have you ever used DeBeer water base (900 series)? We switched to it from PPG Aquabase almost a year ago now, and despite initial scepticism I've really grown to like it. Probably one of the best WB's I've used.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Hi guys, might have missed this in four pages of reading,
but has anyone used the PPG 700 or 750 waterborne clearcoat?

It's a 2K waterborne, and fairly new I think.....
Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Great reading this thread. I'm looking for waterbased clear I can't find it anywhere here (UK). Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 PM

Waterbase isn't all that dreadful, just be open minded and willing to change. I remember when we switched from solvent about 5 years ago, we dreaded the change, hearing all the negative things about water. It's not hard to get used to and once we got orientated to it's nuances and a few changes in application techniques for spraying the base color, it kinda grows on you. Not much else has changed, primers, sealers, clearcoats are still solvent based and procedure for them remains the same. The switch is easy, the color appearance and depth is better than solvent, it stands up, colors match as good or better than solvent, blends easy, covers way better, the clear somehow seems to lay on it and flow better. My solvent days are long gone
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppur_Si_Muove
Great reading this thread. I'm looking for waterbased clear I can't find it anywhere here (UK). Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I'm not aware of any waterbase clearcoat. Outside of manufacturers developing and testing it it is not available on the open market. All waterbase basecoat colors currently are being topcoated with solvent based clears.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray Machine
I'm not aware of any waterbase clearcoat. Outside of manufacturers developing and testing it it is not available on the open market. All waterbase basecoat colors currently are being topcoated with solvent based clears.
Yeah I'm coming to the conclusion this is the case. PPG do a waterborne (700/750) but it's price in the US is waaaaaay too high and I can't even find it in the UK where it would be even higher after transport and tax costs have been added on. Which is a shame because I really want to be enviromentally friendly but if their is no pressure on manufacturers to make water based clear here, then they won't until they have to.

I have just re-tried 1k clear since I used it the first time way back when my prep was absolutely awful and it came off after a few days. Now my prep is right, it is working quite nice but i'm not sure you an use infrared for 1k, so I can't realistically use 1k as it takes days to fully cure.

Moving away from 2k voc clear is MUCH harder than you think. With only 2 US manufacturers making waterborne clear, the rest of the world is lagging behind. California leading the way! I wish Europe would follow suit!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray Machine
Waterbase isn't all that dreadful, just be open minded and willing to change. I remember when we switched from solvent about 5 years ago, we dreaded the change, hearing all the negative things about water. It's not hard to get used to and once we got orientated to it's nuances and a few changes in application techniques for spraying the base color, it kinda grows on you. Not much else has changed, primers, sealers, clearcoats are still solvent based and procedure for them remains the same. The switch is easy, the color appearance and depth is better than solvent, it stands up, colors match as good or better than solvent, blends easy, covers way better, the clear somehow seems to lay on it and flow better. My solvent days are long gone
Thanks ,reading this makes me feel better if I ever have to switch...good job..
Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 PM

There are actually several waterbase clearcoats available in the US,
it's just that they're not intended for automotive use. One type is an
industrial clear; used on water tanks, bridges, etc. Another is a
marine clearcoat. The marine clears are very durable and high gloss,
but their drying/curing rates are generally slower than automotive
clears.

One marine type clear is called an 'LPU' or linear polyurethane, that
has been used on boats for years. You can mix it with a crosslinker
to make it even more durable. Similar to using hardener in acrylic
enamel.

These clears are obviously not suitable for
high volume body shops, but might work for the hobbyist who wants
to stay away from isocyanates...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.