Hot Rod Forum banner

Water in Engine

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  coldknock 
#1 ·
Boy did I skrew up! Ok, in working on my front fenders, I removed the hood and had the truck (59 apache) covered with plastic. Now a few weeks later I'm thinkin it would be good to turn the motor over now and again to keep things wet with oil.

Off comes the plastic and what do I see....
Water got into the air cleaner. So I proceed to pull the spark plugs, drain the oil... Upon loosening the drain plug water begins to flow out from the pan. I let it empty out til oil starts to flow then scoot a catch pan underneath to finish emptying the engine of any trace amounts of water.

With the spark plugs out, I figured it would be wise to push out any water from the cylinders. Apparently only one cylinder was open at the time it sat and it spewed water/oil out.

I then sprayed some carb cleaner in the plug port and turned it over again to get what I could get out.

Being satisfied that was good, I looked at the fuel filter and unhooked it to see if any water had made its way from the carb down to the filter on the pass. side of the engine compartment. It seemed ok.

Now I put all the plugs back in, check the dist. cap (clean no moisture) and tried cranking it. No go. Sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb and got momentary fire on the engine, but it wouldn't stay running. My guess is maybe water is in the float bowl. Tomorrow I plan on popping off the carb to check/clean it and try to fire it up again.

Any tips on what I'm doing? Or have I covered it well enough. My hopes were to crank it over and get that fresh oil onto everything, then change it out while it was warm/hot so any moisture would evaporate. I hope I haven't hurt the motor.

The plastic I used was vulnerable to UV and had cracked. The hood is back on the truck and hopefully the air cleaner will dry out in a few days. Man what a bungle... but I'm taking it in stride.

billg

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.