water in exhaust - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiacustomz
if i drive it every day i will have to add about 1/4 gallon coolant every 2 weeks and if it just site around maybe every 5-6 weeks and i cant find any leaks
check around the heater core, that amount of fluid could be leaking out there and seeping into upholstry...

Or only leaking out as vapor under pressure etc. etc.

Best thing to do is take pictures, preferrably a video of what you are seeing. That helps us speculate, but that's still all any of us can do. It seems to me, no offense, that you're sort of convinced that your losing coolant out the exhaust.

Coolant has to be going somewhere, it can be anything from a very minor leak in the head (stilll not your water in exhaust though) to a pinhole in your radiator or a hose. The list goes on and on. It can't be losing fluid but not going anywhere...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

If it was burning coolant, you would see and smell it in the exhaust. (At least you surely wood if you're using a 50/50 glycol / water mix as we do here in Canada.

Thinking about it... TN (and all of S.E. US) has been in the news for having unusually cold weather and precipitation this winter.

The damper and colder it is, the more visible and steamy the exhaust.
Headers / Dual exhaust gives you a whole lot of pipe area to acccumulate moisture. You should also notice that the appearance of steam and droplets of water should diminish somewhat after you get the exhaust system warmed up and dried out. That isn't going to happen idling around town. Perhaps a 1/2 hour drive on the highway might dry it out?

Here's another thought. Put a large sheet of cardboard under the engine bay. and inspect the drippings if any. If you see green (assuming old-syle glycol antifreeze) it will give you a fairly good indication of where to look for the leak.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ81
...If it's clear, you're not losing coolant and it's not giving you white smoke (buringin coolant) chances are it's condensation or simply the water left over from combustion you're seeing.

Take your car on a long trip, highway, do 100 miles, then drive it every day at least 45 minutes and see where you're at.
Yup, maybe not 100 but get her good and warm!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiacustomz
if i drive it every day i will have to add about 1/4 gallon coolant every 2 weeks and if it just site around maybe every 5-6 weeks and i cant find any leaks
Maybe it's going out the over flow onto the hwy while your driving and not collecting anywhere that you can see. Try this, stop filling the radiator and see if it just drops down to about 2-3 inches below the fill neck and stay's there. A common mistake is over filling a radiator to the top.When it gets warm, it forces it out due to expansion. Unless you have a really good closed system that expands into the reservoir and sucks it back when the engine cools down after shut down, the coolant level will never stay at the top of the radiator. Also, check your radiator cap and make sure it's 15-16 lb. rated, and the seal is in good shape.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

ok the car does not smoke at all no matter how long i drive still puts out alot of water no leaks from any where the over flow which is a tank not straight out on the ground and i like to run it half full and you guys keep saying becouse it winter it year round 3-5 feet of water spray summer or winter i buy 100% green coolant and add water to the coolant i have a 190 thermostat new radiator cap still no leaks from any where

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.