water in exhaust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

water in exhaust

i have a 91 caprice 305 tbi stock with dual exhaust and their is alot of water coming out of my exhaust like alot i replace the intake gasket and nothing could it be my head gasket it does it in summer and winter but if it is my head gasket how is it coming out of both sides of my exhaust i have true duels no x or h pipe or y into duals

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

Is it coolant? Or just condensation?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiacustomz
i have a 91 caprice 305 tbi stock with dual exhaust and their is alot of water coming out of my exhaust like alot i replace the intake gasket and nothing could it be my head gasket it does it in summer and winter but if it is my head gasket how is it coming out of both sides of my exhaust i have true duels no x or h pipe or y into duals
Well the chances of blown head gasket or something like that aren't very high to have occur on each of both banks at the same time. Sill while the probability is low the possibility exists. Often a compression test will find a bad gasket.

The only places where your set up is common is the coolant return on the intake manifold and the intake exhaust crossover. Typically there are returns on the front and rear of the heads. The rear is often blocked off by the intake, but some times GM does source the heater supply from there on one side, but usually there is not common connection here. The common return is at the front and has an intake passage immediately behind it. A crack or hole here could leak into the intake and get into each cylinder bank.

A leak into the exhaust crossover that passes under the plenum is another place where coolant could get into both the separated exhaust sides at the same time.

Lastly 1/2, or there-abouts, of the fuel the engine burns is turned into water the other half becomes carbon dioxide with small amounts of carbon mono-oxide and various nitrogen oxides. So it isn't uncommon to see water coming out the exhaust, especially with vehicles that have low places in the exhaust system where it can condense and collect before it has a chance to be blown out as a vapor.

Bogie
Old 01-15-2011, 07:06 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
It seems that every year about this time we get this question.
If it's clear moisture, no problem. Might even have a little black soot mixed in with it from the exhaust pipe. Check out your friends cars and other people's and you'll see the same thing when they fire up cold engines. After you get it good and warm it should stop.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i would taste it, if i was you
Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

i did say even in summer its alot of water clear water i dont know any one with a 5.0 305 caprice but my dads 95 astro does not put out this much water or my brothers 91 caddy is their a water hole on the muffler for water drain i heard that once along time ago
Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
i did say even in summer its alot of water clear water i dont know any one with a 5.0 305 caprice but my dads 95 astro does not put out this much water or my brothers 91 caddy is their a water hole on the muffler for water drain i heard that once along time ago
No there isn't.

You're Dad's Astro won't create as much condensation. Chances are if it's wet out your getting condensation in there. Could be as simple as your muffler being a bit spent and stock (big) allowing more moisture to build up.

And when you compare to other people's cars make sure they drive as (in)frequently as you do. In other words if they drive every day and you only use your car every few days yours will build up more moisture.

If it's clear, you're not losing coolant and it's not giving you white smoke (buringin coolant) chances are it's condensation or simply the water left over from combustion you're seeing.

Take your car on a long trip, highway, do 100 miles, then drive it every day at least 45 minutes and see where you're at.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

A lot of times if you are leaking coolant into the exhaust, you can smell a slightly sweet smell.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC
A lot of times if you are leaking coolant into the exhaust, you can smell a slightly sweet smell.
Oh and btw, don't taste it... wikipedia can explain why.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

i am losing coolant but their is no sweet smell my car is blowing water about 3-5 feet out of the exhaust i dont think thats condensation i guess im going to have to do a compression test the motor does have 278000 miles so the head gaskets could just be very small cracks in both
Old 01-16-2011, 07:02 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
i am losing coolant but their is no sweet smell my car is blowing water about 3-5 feet out of the exhaust i dont think thats condensation i guess im going to have to do a compression test the motor does have 278000 miles so the head gaskets could just be very small cracks in both
IF you had a head gasket leak and you were loosing coolant, you would have other issues than just clear water blowing out of your exhaust pipes.
Think about it.

Over heating of the engine.
fouling plugs.
rough running.
contaminated oil.

Coolant going into the cyl. and out the exhaust valves through your exhaust system will not be refined into clear water. I have a set of dual chrome exhaust tips on my Grand Prix and they come with small holes on the bottom just for the purpose of draining condensation. Every car and truck in the winter blow's moisture out of the exhaust on a real cold morning or a hot summer day. It's just more noticeable in the cold and vehicles look like they have steam engines in them. This is a by-product of the combustion process. Unless you are experiencing the 4 symptoms above, I wouldn't worry about it. Both my vehicles do it 1. a 76 truck with 350 cu. in. dual turbo's and 2. my 03 GP with dual into single. My 88 F-bird did it and one time I fired it up one morning before I opened the garage door and it blew two big black wet spots all over the inside of the door. I decided that wasn't a good idea and always opened the door first with the remote in the car.

A couple of other things to check on would be check the dip stick for any signs of contamination. Look for green color in the oil, smell, and feel to see if it is slippery. After your engine warms up, pull the radiator cap and look for a steady stream of air bubbles when your thermostat opens.

Last edited by sqzbox; 01-16-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 AM

Last photo:

Amen to that rule of 4.

Coolant in cylinders means it would burn off. That equals white smoke...

If you are losing coolant check your coolant system.

Also a compression check is always good to do on a motor you don't know. Gives you a reference point for the future. I try and go through everything on any new to me car I buy. Fluids. Compression, timing, tuneup, etc etc. Then when something goes wrong I have a point of reference.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Last journal entry: A Few Years Later...
Last photo:

Coolant or condensation

Might be a stupid question , but how much coolant are you losing? How often do you have to add and how much are you adding?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

Try pressurizing your cooling system, see if it holds pressure. If it doesn't, start looking for a leak. I live in NYS, all our vehicles blow water out the exhaust, even our everyday vehicles.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

if i drive it every day i will have to add about 1/4 gallon coolant every 2 weeks and if it just site around maybe every 5-6 weeks and i cant find any leaks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.