Water injection did nothing for me - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 AM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Water injection did nothing for me

A member here gave me an idea to try. Water injection, to help with detonation at elevated boost levels. This is pretty basic, in theory it is probably argueable that it works. This my time was spent making a couple different designs. They consist of house hold items and work related items, so no problem. No loss of resoures. Dave Cushman and motherearth have 2 easy to make water injection systems for the carbureted engines with wild claims. They do inject water, or mist, or humidity etc.

My 305 was idle good vacuum, no load, no boost. Twisted my distributor and advanced timing till it started knockin and rockin. At that instant of onset I played with the 2 injection systems at no load. The condition was not phased. The system did pull water, or mist , or humidity into the carb. It would not solve or affect the detonation at no load. How would it possibly do anyting at higher load with 10 psi of boost. ARE YOU SMELLING WHAT IM STEPPING IN?

If you have ideas or suggestions for other systems let me know.

Used manifoild vacuum.

I have a bone to pick with HHO systems and hydrogen cell generators too. I will save that for a different time. Stuff that is considered the best 6-8 packs is only making 6-10 LperMin. If you wanted 25% better mileage at 60mph with a 40mpg vehicle(96 honda civic 1.6L) you would need to generate 70 LPM of hydrogen to replace the Joules of energy to maintain 60mph. For only 25% better mileage.

Let the truth set you free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterinj5656.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	67889  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
A member here gave me an idea to try. Water injection, to help with detonation at elevated boost levels. This is pretty basic, in theory it is probably argueable that it works. This my time was spent making a couple different designs. They consist of house hold items and work related items, so no problem. No loss of resoures. Dave Cushman and motherearth have 2 easy to make water injection systems for the carbureted engines with wild claims. They do inject water, or mist, or humidity etc.

My 305 was idle good vacuum, no load, no boost. Twisted my distributor and advanced timing till it started knockin and rockin. At that instant of onset I played with the 2 injection systems at no load. The condition was not phased. The system did pull water, or mist , or humidity into the carb. It would not solve or affect the detonation at no load. How would it possibly do anyting at higher load with 10 psi of boost. ARE YOU SMELLING WHAT IM STEPPING IN?

If you have ideas or suggestions for other systems let me know.

Used manifoild vacuum.

I have a bone to pick with HHO systems and hydrogen cell generators too. I will save that for a different time. Stuff that is considered the best 6-8 packs is only making 6-10 LperMin. If you wanted 25% better mileage at 60mph with a 40mpg vehicle(96 honda civic 1.6L) you would need to generate 70 LPM of hydrogen to replace the Joules of energy to maintain 60mph. For only 25% better mileage.

Ayuh,.... I'd say yer test failed because detonation is caused by many factors, 'n you tested only 1...
Over-advanced timing....

Detonation can/ is also caused by lean conditions, 'n high compression, or combinations of All of the above...
Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
ARE YOU SMELLING WHAT IM STEPPING IN?

Well, I don't know anything about the water injection system you used, but years ago I built a high compression Olds 455 that had a problem on pump gas. I installed an Edelbrock water injection system and that definitely stopped the detonation. The water spray cools the intake charge. Of course, if you simply add water injection to a stock engine, you certainly won't see any benefits.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

windshield washer fluid (the good toxic stuff) has methanol in it . I have heard that it has been used to do what spinn wants to do.Highly flammable and evaporates quickly, it cools the intake charge and helps keep the engine from going lean. just a thought. I am by no means an expert here...just sayin

Oh and by the way, those HHO guys, they are grossly overexaggerating the results. Some of the sellers will give you the amount produced and will be ambiguous when they say how much mileage you will get.
Buyers will tell you a lot of bull also, they dont want you to think they spent money on something that didint work, and they feel better when someone else joins in and see's "the kings new clothes" sort of to speak.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

What you did was NOT WATER INJECTION. Its was dumping water down the carb.

Give your head a shake. Water/meth injection is spraying -injecting at high pressure thru a misting nozzle
so it vapourizes in the intake tract.

The water is only injected when the motor is under load or under boost at or near full throttle.

If you think what you did is even remotely related to water injection
You need to stay away from cars. Especially supercharged cars.

The fact that you even attempted this, tells all. Leave the hood shut and drive it.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 09-15-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:31 PM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
What you did was NOT WATER INJECTION. Its was dumping water down the carb.

Give your head a shake. Water/meth injection is spraying -injecting at high pressure thru a misting nozzle
so it vapourizes in the intake tract.

The water is only injected when the motor is under load or under boost at or near full throttle.

If you think what you did is even remotely related to water injection
You need to stay away from cars. Especially supercharged cars.

The fact that you even attempted this, tells all. Leave the hood shut and drive it.
You were the one who told me to do a search on google, those were the top two. A search on hotrodders also placed those two websites methods as working...fine systems. So nobody has slayed these dragons yet?

If you dont ...forget it.

Please PM me with the system your are refering.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The Best Water injection system and water methanol injection systems at AlcoholInjectionSystems.com
Snow Performance : Snow Performance Water Methanol Injection Systems. The Best Most Accurate Gas and Diesel Water Methanol Injection Strategies for Fuel Injected Carbureted Turbocharged Supercharged

50-50 mix of water and methanol. Some people use winter formula windshield washer fluid usually blue)
(THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN DETERGENT). They are not all the same. the water to meth ratio varies.

You want 50-50.

Two of many systems on the market.

Tune the motor correctly for high boost on high octane 110+ unleaded race gas, first.
Then you will know how it is supposed to run.
Then intergrate the water meth injection system and dial in the timing and WOT fuel curve for that.

Controling the water injection how much ,when (boost/rpm throttle load and timing is critical.

The methanol part of the water injection is critical. methanol is 130 octane and replaces much of the other wise typical over rich fueling (over jetted carb @ WOT) needed under boost to avid detonation.
Most or all of the timing can be restored under boost. (little or no boost retard required.)
its up to you to find the happy spot. water/meth flow pregrssion / fuel/timing/boost curve.
Tuning is required.

Its up to you to keep the water tank full. Its recomended to incorprate some method of detecting system failure
and water tank level.

Get a clue or leave the hood shut.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 09-15-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Browser Warning

I built this for peanuts to detect detonation while tuning.
You get the amplifier from Radio shack.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 09-15-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.