water leaking thru weatherstripping: 56 truck - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

they leaked from the factory, old truckers just never cared
we do get these trucks in better shape than they came from the factory.
if the top of your door sticks out too far, grab it and bend it in.
not much structure to these doors, they bend out at the top from 50 yrs of slamming them (with worn out latches).
no old truck will never pass the paper test, save that test for your fringe door

i keep a towel in truk for going through the car wash
and hold it over the door seam as the pressure rinse goes over it.
my whole leg was soaked the other day from going thru the car wash (ya, i'm one of those guys)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i will not tolerate their tolerances!

your weatherstripping looked fairly new orge. my door alignment doesn't look like it could possibly be any better. i dont think trucks ever came with carpet, and i know we want our tolerances better than the factory did.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:40 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

guys, i'm still Deep in dis Pair! (& i'm f'in dis Custard!)

i've seen inner metal guides w/weatherstipping attached, about 6 inches long or so, but can't remember the year or make of truck, that went in about there. stopped the flow in that "s" curve.

or is there some super thick weatherstripping, like maybe something for a T-top that would be useable with enuf glue? this blows. the stuff in there now if very soft and new lookin too. door is perfectly aligned too.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
If the weatherstripping is folding over at the corner which often happens you are pretty screwed as this often happens with the reproduction rubbers, they just don't fit as they did from the factory.

I have seen a few cars over the years with a little metal flap that held up the rubber that was welded to the door. If your rubber is folding over on the corner instead of sticking up perky maybe make something that will screw in that is holding the rubber up as it should be?

My Rambler has some little metal triangle shaped pieces that are held in with a screw to hold the rubber at the lower corners. They aren't there to hold them up and perky but they are an example of what can be done.

If the rubber isn't touching, then a small piece of metal pushing it up isn't going to hurt, my main concern would be putting this metal there and it IT hits the door jamb. But of course if you look at it carefully you can determine how far you could go up the side of the rubber with a piece of metal so that it doesn't hit but is pushing the rubber up there so it does it's job.

It's funny, the rubbers on my Rambler are SHOT with pieces missing and it still doesn't leak a drip because the gutters are doing their job.

Brian
Old 07-07-2012, 02:29 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

If you have your door aligned good the rubbers on those that seal will most likely have issues at the onset with compression and leaving your door a little out and sometimes even having to slam the door, or at least that's a sign that IF and when it compresses it's a guaranteed seal. My old boss who specialized in those trucks did the assembly so I'm kind of cloudy on it but I recall him saying that once. If you want his number let me know.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

I GOTS THE CURE! no not the clap, i said the CURE!

WENT to a car show yestiddy and one guy with a 59 showed me what he did. AWESOME i would show pics but i'm in a hurry. he went to schucks at the time and just got a roll of weatherstripping for some kind of GM with adhesive on the back (i know, kinda ghetto, but....) then he glued it ON THE CAB from the back of the door all the way down and around the "S" turn. drives it n the rain everyday, no leaky leaky!

this, of course, is in addition to the stock piece on the door. his door seemed to shut just fine too, w/o having to slam it. i did have to slam mine pretty hard when they were new too btw. did not leak then i don't think, so maybe it's just time. but his way is a no brainer, for me at least. which is about how i usually operate.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:42 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

heres a pic, i hope.

red one is my stock weatherstripping in place, (with unsuccessful and therefor useless lithium grease on it. sorry this pic is out of focus.

ones of yellow truck are the weatherstipping on the cab that the guy installed, which is what i'm going to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup of Volt 323.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	66749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup of Volt 518.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	977.7 KB
ID:	66750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup of Volt 519.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	66751  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.