Water leaks from i dont know where? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2003, 12:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Water leaks from i dont know where?

In my 71 chevelle everytime it rains or sprinkles a little water will leak in the car. It usually leaks at the driver side kickpanel. ANd gets the carpet wet and stinks and i just put new carpet in but i dont know where it is coming from? Anyone have any idaes?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2003, 07:54 AM
Last photo:

My guess would either be the front windshield, or cowl seams. Water leaks can be a real bear to find. I spent many hours as a dealership mechanic on my back either under the dash, or in the trunk while a fellow mechanic ran water over the car from the outside.

Vince
Old 07-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

I had a Torino that had a similar type of leak, ended up being a tiny bit of corrosion under the chrome at the bottom left hand corner or the windshield. Something you wouldn't even see if you didn't take off the chrome.

Chickie.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Like 302/Z28 says get under the dash with a good light and have someone run water on the outside,You should be able to find it.

HTH,
GOOD LUCK,
TROY,
Old 07-14-2003, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

If you can get a small black light and shine it up under the dash. You'll see the water better
Old 07-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by awsum34
If you can get a small black light and shine it up under the dash. You'll see the water better
Use to have a black light back in the sixties, with some Jimi Hendrix LP's it caused us to keep getting ......well you know the story.

Vince
Old 07-18-2003, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

What about underneath those vents in the hood, i dont have the pan and screen that goes there??
Old 07-20-2003, 04:16 PM

Chevelles are famous for leaking on both front and rear glass. If you remove the chrome trim from the front glass you will see the rotted out area. thats because when it gets wet it puddles there and it has no place to drain off. so after years of the water not being able to escape from the low spot it will rust out and create a leak just like my 67 SS396. And its not the best and easiest place to fix either. I had to get a replacement one for my 67 from a 66 chevelle for $20 and it was in excellent shape to fix my leak.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

More than likely the windshield. Also pull the kickpanel off and check for dirt and debris built up behind the metal where the kickpanel fits. The water fron the vent area runs down to the area of the kickpanel but should drain out. If dirt and debris is built up it would allow it to flow over or wick in. While your at it pull the carpet up and see if any rust has started in that area.

Kevin
Old 07-22-2003, 03:17 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

pull the carpet out to dry it out. if you can at night put a light both on the outside, then under the dash and look for it thru the car. take off the windshield trim. a removal tool is $7. dont pull away from the glass tho or you can/will break the windshield, only pry parallel to the glass. as far as the drainage goes, if there is nine tons of crap there it will retain moisture and rust out there as well. my 55 truck leaks sometimes too. i think thru the cowl. it goes straight down onto the carpet. i need/have new windshield rubber tho. got to get off my butt and replace it. there is an article in the new custom classic truck for doing tri five trucks btw . i have a 72 camaro, and i cant figure out what in the hell is up but i get water in my trunk all the time when i drive it. i have new trunk seal and sealed the tail lights. drives you f'in crazy sometimes, got to keep in covered or in the garage or something, but in wash. it's tough to drive and stay out of the rain as well. re: my truck, it seems that my water is just from condensation or something. no water gets in when i drive it, rain or shine

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.