Water lines on intake??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Water lines on intake???

I just read the thread on zero decking, very interesting, and entertaining also.

Anyway CNC Blocks NE showed some pictures of a circle track engine that had lines running from the front of the intake to the rear of the intake on each side.

Someone please enlighten me. I would have searched but didn't know what to search for.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 08:59 PM
More for Less Racer

They are just rear to front cooling equalization lines, you can find a kit at Speedway Motors in the Oval Track catalog, and most any other oval track parts supplier, or figure out the necessary fittings and lines on your own. Requires an intake with rear water fitting bosses, or for you to machine, drill and tap an intake that doesn't come with the provisions for this already cast in.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

circle track motors always look cool lol, have lines running everywhere, crazy looking headers, awesome air cleaners! hence why i always have the hood off of my I-stock!

I don't run them on my engine, just another thing to break/leak during a race in my opinion! Its susposed to help equalize the coolant temp throughout the head, eliminates hot spots.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

I always figured that was what they were for but never thought to ask till I saw that picture. I knew someone here would know for sure.

So I'd suppose there would by no benefit to installing these lines on a drag only engine??
Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
I always figured that was what they were for but never thought to ask till I saw that picture. I knew someone here would know for sure.

So I'd suppose there would by no benefit to installing these lines on a drag only engine??

if its really drag only you don't even need coolant.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolover
if its really drag only you don't even need coolant.
I suppose you run your drag car with no coolant? How do you keep it from overheating in the staging lanes and on the return road?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:04 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
I suppose you run your drag car with no coolant? How do you keep it from overheating in the staging lanes and on the return road?
Push it in the staging lanes, fire it up only for burnout and pass, tow it back to trailer from end of track. Just like the dragsters have done since the 50's.

Works a lot better with alky than with gas, due to the cooling provided as the alky vaporises in the intake tract.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I just read the thread on zero decking, very interesting, and entertaining also.

Anyway CNC Blocks NE showed some pictures of a circle track engine that had lines running from the front of the intake to the rear of the intake on each side.

Someone please enlighten me. I would have searched but didn't know what to search for.

Thanks.
Unless I'm running exterior lines from the water pump into the side of the block and curtailing the normal coolant entry at the front of the block, I don't do this at least to this extent. My reasoning is that the if the engine is plumbed the conventional way of the pump delivering cold coolant to the front most cylinders which then flows the length of the block gaining heat as it goes and then mostly moving up the rear to flow forward thru the head to the thermostat and radiator return. This system results in the front cylinders on each side running cooler than those behind and the rear combustion chamber running cooer than those ahead. So in a perverse way it evens out the thermal efficiency of the overall engine where colder cylinders have hotter combustion chambers and warmer cylinders the cooler combustion chambers. Works OK on the street but not as well in lengthy situations of high power output.

If the inlet coolant is put in at the side of block it tends to level out the operating temp variations between the cylinders. The coolant then flows up to the heads and is tappet off at both ends which also helps to balance out the combustion chamber temps. The new Chevy RO7 NASCAR engine is completely designed from the get-go to incorporate the concept of individual temperature control on each cylinder with every cylinder having its own source and the return for each combustion chamber cast into the block and heads.

When ever I build an engine where the coolant inlet to the block is conventional, I keep the coolant return ,also, close to the conventional return plan with the exception of using a small diameter return of 3/16s to 1/4 inch tube from the rear of the intake where it covers the back side head returns or from the vent location on the LT1/4 heads. The purpose of this is not so much to redirect coolant from its normal path as to provide a vent to keep vapors from forming bubbles over and around rear combustion chambers. The reasoning here includes the thoughts that with conventional coolant entry, the engine retains the usual thermodynamic problems and solutions the factory built into the engine so that tapping a large return from the rear of the head will tend to over-cool the rear combustion chambers costing power and will short the forward chambers of coolant unless other steps are done with the head and/or gasket to allow a greater amount of coolant to return via the head from the forward cylinders.

So I guess my message is before messing around with coolant routing, make sure you know the whole story some of which you may not see in engine photo's.

Bogie
Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Not really, we run them cause we arnt running our engines for 8-12 seconds, we are running them at WOT (6800-7800 rpm) for up to an hour at a time! Those small hot spots in the heads, can become REALLY hot! So every little bit helps.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for explaining it guys. I really had not planned on doing anything with the cooling on my engine. Was just curious why they ran them. I knew it had something to do with coolling improvements, just never thought to ask for details.

I have no plans to run my engine without coolant either.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for explaining it guys. I really had not planned on doing anything with the cooling on my engine. Was just curious why they ran them. I knew it had something to do with coolling improvements, just never thought to ask for details.

I have no plans to run my engine without coolant either.
Me and my brother put a 400 poncho in a derby car one time, cause the sbc trans we had crapped out last notice.

But, first hit the radiator met the fan in a very big way. So for the rest of the night it ran with the rad hoses taped together, but it really never had much water in it. lol...man that thing got HOT! We filled it up with water the next day, not a drop of smoke!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.