Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water methanol injection for carburetor

45K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Freddyfingaz83 
#1 · (Edited)
HELLO:
Don't know if this has been covered already, but I thought that I would throw it out there for today's fuel prices seem to be going through the roof.
In Mother Earth's news back in the early 80's there were 2 articles on making a water methanol injection system for a carburetor type car. The system I use runs off the carb vacuum at the bottom of a port. I use a reed valve that you would use for making ice off the back of a refrigerator made of brass. Some 1/4" fuel line that connects to a port on the carb. The line goes back to the reed valve then to a plastic gas can that I sealed the lid with silicone. the hose only goes into the lid about 2 inches. I then drilled another hole that attaches to a vent tube, also 1/4 inch and that attaches to a piece of 1/4 copper tubing that is bent into a "J", which rests off the bottom of the container..I then drilled another hole big enough to put a funnel into to fill the container with and bought a rubber plug to seal it with.
when the reed valve is opened while the motor is idling, you can hear the bottle bubbling rapidly as the engine vacuum pulls the mist into the motor below the carb. This idea will give a increase in fuel mileage as well as steam clean the motor and fool the 87 octane gas into thinking it is 10 to 15 points higher~! Therefore NO PINGING~!
Here is an article from Mother Earth News from the early 80's after the first fuel crisis from the 70's~! Also note that in WWII Germany, as well as the U.S. used this in their Fighters...It has been said that they injected this mix into the cylinders of the Mustangs and gave them a 350hp boost for take off and also gave them 2 five minute bursts for combat with a 5 minute cool down in between...I see that it works wonders for turbo's as well as blowers~! Here is the original article:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Transportation/1979-09-01/Water-Injection-System.aspx

Anybody currently using a system bought through a vendor, or home make like mine?

See less See more
#28 ·
Cool, sounds good. Yeah since the weather reports say it has officially never frozen where I live in socal, I think i will run all water with a couple drops of winshield wiper fluid. And what about the bubbler? do i need one if I am using straight water? and the nozzle is it a special part or generic? any links to that one...

thanks again you guys rock.

#31 ·
The nozzle does not atomize the water, and it doesn't need to either. When the water is injected into the carb it will atomize as much as it needs to as it's pulled through the intake and into the cylinder. Don't get hung up on worrying about atomization.
The pickup tube sits in a "jug" that's similar to a winshield washer jug, and works the same way. It's vented and the tube sits near the bottom so it picks up water when the system calls for it.
If you make your own system you'll need some sort of brain that tells the system to pump when the vacuum drops below a set inch of vacuum amount. If you build a system that works off throttle position it wont ever come on until you press the throttle hard enough to call for it. A lot of detonation can and will occur before you ever reach full throttle.
You don't need two vacuum sources. You want the system to work regardless of whether you're on the highway, or around town. I doubt it would ever come on while cruising at speed, as that is when vacuum is at it's peak and there wont be detonation just holding a steady speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.