Water methanol injection for carburetor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Water methanol injection for carburetor

HELLO:
Don't know if this has been covered already, but I thought that I would throw it out there for today's fuel prices seem to be going through the roof.
In Mother Earth's news back in the early 80's there were 2 articles on making a water methanol injection system for a carburetor type car. The system I use runs off the carb vacuum at the bottom of a port. I use a reed valve that you would use for making ice off the back of a refrigerator made of brass. Some 1/4" fuel line that connects to a port on the carb. The line goes back to the reed valve then to a plastic gas can that I sealed the lid with silicone. the hose only goes into the lid about 2 inches. I then drilled another hole that attaches to a vent tube, also 1/4 inch and that attaches to a piece of 1/4 copper tubing that is bent into a "J", which rests off the bottom of the container..I then drilled another hole big enough to put a funnel into to fill the container with and bought a rubber plug to seal it with.
when the reed valve is opened while the motor is idling, you can hear the bottle bubbling rapidly as the engine vacuum pulls the mist into the motor below the carb. This idea will give a increase in fuel mileage as well as steam clean the motor and fool the 87 octane gas into thinking it is 10 to 15 points higher~! Therefore NO PINGING~!
Here is an article from Mother Earth News from the early 80's after the first fuel crisis from the 70's~! Also note that in WWII Germany, as well as the U.S. used this in their Fighters...It has been said that they injected this mix into the cylinders of the Mustangs and gave them a 350hp boost for take off and also gave them 2 five minute bursts for combat with a 5 minute cool down in between...I see that it works wonders for turbo's as well as blowers~! Here is the original article:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green...on-System.aspx

Anybody currently using a system bought through a vendor, or home make like mine?

Advertisement

Last edited by Dannyringo; 03-04-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot other info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

Here is the article that I used to build my own injection system that used vacuum port of carb. Note that the drawing shows the reed valve in line with the vacuum advance~! This is a mistake, because if you do this and turn the reed valve off, then you have no vacuum advance~!. So, all I did is run a single line to a port at the base of the carb. It works~!
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It...on-System.aspx
Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Kool

Great thread nice info
Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

Now for the arguing of the disbelievers~!
I advanced my timing to 16 degrees from 8 degrees factory spec's then the carb was already leaned out, because the RV lives half the year at 7,200 ft elevation in Flagstaff, Az...Then I go down for the winters to Lake Havasu, Yuma, or Quartzite, which is about 800ft above sea level...With the carb already leaned out I did my test with the advance already done..I went from 8 miles a gallon with detonation to 16 miles a gallon running water methanol mix. The mix I use is one 12 once bottle of HEAT in the Yellow bottle to one gallon of water which is about a 33% mix(pure methanol) not the ISO-Heat which is Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol ~!
I tested this 3 different times on a full tank of 32 miles. In all cases, I went from 8 miles a gallon to 16 miles a gallon.. Then I tried it up the mountains driving from Quartzite, Az. to Lake Havasu for a total of 72 miles; Again, 16 miles a gallon...In the 2-1/2 gallon plastic kerosene jug I use for the mix, I have now filled it a second time since last November...It sips it into the vacuum port at the base of the carb.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 PM
boatbob2

Water Methanol..........

Hi,if you will go to 6.5 diesel.com,click on 6.5 diesel,there is a great thread on installing.testing.and conclusions of this water methanol..very good thread (thread is by private pilot.)
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Hi,if you will go to 6.5 diesel.com,click on 6.5 diesel,there is a great thread on installing.testing.and conclusions of this water methanol..very good thread (thread is by private pilot.)
I went to the site, but could not find it. If you come across it, copy and paste the link for all to see.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
boatbob2

water meth injection

hi,go to diesel place.com,when it opens go to 6.5 diesel engine,and click,then look for threads by private pilot (or send him an IM)
Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

Here is additional fuel to the fire~! No pun intended~! I lied~ PUN INTENDED~!
http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/
Old 03-08-2012, 02:31 AM

Last photo:

Years ago J.C.Whitney sold those they were called "Vapor Injectors" and I did use them on several cars and was surprised at the results,in place of the chemical that came with them I used a combination of "Heet" and water.A crazy buddy of mine wanted to win a grudge race "back in the day" and filled his up with nitro-methane but that's another story
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

The high quality methanol or water injection systems worked with an electronic sensor box that monitored engine vacuum and injected the mix when engine vacuum dropped below a certain adjustable level.
I've got one on my 427 in my Camaro, and it works really well. I run regular grade gas, and no detonation at all, even with the timing advanced a bit higher than before installing the system.
My instructions said to use winshield washer fluid as it had the correct methanol/water mixture right out of the jug. I've used it for years and it really does work. Too much methanol will usually evaporate in the holding tank before it's used, so it's a waste to increase the ratio.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

too much methanol

I also noticed that if too much methanol added to my water bottle made the hose get kind of soft and mushy...So now I use one bottle of HEET in the yellow bottle to one gallon of water...Works great~!

Eventually, I am going to purchase one of the professionally manufactured ones, but for the time being, this works good enuf. Thanks~!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

Need to make sure you're not running rubber hoses for any of the methanol system. All the hoses that came with my kit are flexible plastic hoses and they look like new ater several years use.
One thing to remember though is that the tank is vented and the more methanol added the faster it evaporates, so if you're not driving it much you'll find it's low when you do check it.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Need to make sure you're not running rubber hoses for any of the methanol system. All the hoses that came with my kit are flexible plastic hoses and they look like new ater several years use.
One thing to remember though is that the tank is vented and the more methanol added the faster it evaporates, so if you're not driving it much you'll find it's low when you do check it.
I did pick up that plastic hose you were talking about and hooked it up to the bottle I am using....I originally used one of those air stones in the beginning and I must of used too much methanol to water..The air-stone disappeared the next time I checked it...Had to pull the bottle and rinse out all the material at the bottom of the container...That was when I decided on the new hose and using a J tube piece of copper instead of the air stone...No more problems~!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

The instructions that came with mine suggested using windshield washer fluid, as it stated the water/ethanol mix was just about perfect. Most the time I can find it on sale for around a buck a gallon, so that's all I've ever run in mine.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

Holley and Edelbrock used to make kits. I think Snow still makes theirs. Several other Co.s make pricey kits now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edelbrock VaraJection.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	64444   Click image for larger version

Name:	holley.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	64445  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.