water and moisture in air - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

water and moisture in air

Hi,
I am new to your website and having picked up information about airline setup with the diagram, I am unable to open the diagram.
I wonder if anyone can help.
I have a REAL PROBLEM with continual water in the airline.
I have 2 water traps set in line about 4' from the compressor and then going through about 50' of hose, but it has become a major disaster when I want to use the sand blast cabinet or even just simple spraying.
I would welcome any advice or suggestions.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch
I have 2 water traps set in line about 4' from the compressor and then going through about 50' of hose

Your problem is right there, the LOCATION of those traps. They are much too close to the compressor to do you much good and should be located at the OTHER end of the line away from the compressor. The reason is the air coming from the tank does not have time to cool and because of this the water will stay in vapor form and will pass right through your separators only to cool and then condense inside the air line. Since it is now on the wrong side of the separator it can only exit out the hose and into whatever tool you are using. There has been tons of info written here about how to deal with this and if you do a search on "moisture" you will probably find several good ways to solve your problem. Do you have a metal air line coming from the compressor or are you trying to use a rubber hose hooked up directly to the tank? If you can go into a bit more detail about how your air line is set up I am sure we can help you work this out. It is not hard to do at all, nor is it costly, it just takes a bit of arranging and getting things in the right place.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Thanks, Oldred.
Ok...... The set up at the moment is this;;;
compressor........then short rubber airline to filter 1
then in line to filter 2.
then about a 15' airline,
then a join to 50' airline.
This then connects up to whatever tool or cabinet I am using.

Clearly I have made a big **** up.
I really look forward to hearing set up suggestions.

Chris
Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Lynch,

oldred is right on with his Post (as usual )-if you continue to have problems (after moving your Water Traps), I have had good luck with this:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/jlmm100.html

Some will call it a "Toilet Paper Filter", and indeed the element is in the shape of a roll of Tp, but I have had very good results (and absolutely no Water) using it, along with a regular Water Trap (20 ft. from Compressor)-I also use one of these:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mot-dd10082.html
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

I am going to assume all your air line is rubber? What would be ideal is about 50' of metal air line then the separators then the rubber air hose. If it is not practical to run 50' of metal line then you can use a cooler of some sort, this can be constructed from an AC core or just some simple copper lines. The idea is to use the lines or cooler to allow the water vapor to condense as the air cools and collect on the air line walls where it can drain into collection points called "drops" BEFORE it passes through the separator, these are short pipes about one foot to 18 inches long tee'd into the line at the low points with a drain valve attached. The water will drain back into these low points then into the "drop" where it will remain out of the air flow until it can be drained. This may sound a bit confusing at first but as you start to work it out it will all become quite simple.

Here is a good example of a system set up for a small shop with restricted space.

Water Separaters

Also about halfway down this page will give some idea of what you will be trying to accomplish.

Water in compressor lines???

There are other ways of doing this so don't be afraid to ask, we have the time and will try to help you solve this problem.

Last edited by oldred; 11-12-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the links.
I have checked these out and I don't think we can get these over here in the UK,
I'll see if I can get the closest too them.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 AM

Thank you very much I really appreciate your help. I will re-arrange the whole set up.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 AM

Ok,

Thank you for the diagrams and advice,

System now 're-plumbed' in with same set up as in the link photo

Thanks again

Chris

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.