Water neck with o ring,seal or not to seal? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 05:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Water neck with o ring,seal or not to seal?

Hello
I have a mr gasket brand water neck with an o-ring on it. you know the cheap ones at advance/autozone. and wanted to put it on today when i realized i didn't know to seal the neck on with sealer or without. i looked on mr.gasket.com and they say you don't have to use sealer with it but i doesn't say you can if you want.
my water inlet on the manifold is a little corroded up so i figure i better use sealer/form a gasket on the water neck.
but i want to make sure i can, i have seen that the o-ring will give out after time as on the website everyones asks where they get a replacement ring!

And i have heard not to tighten these down real hard as they will warp/leak if over tightened? are these pot metal or metal with fake chrome? lol

"to seal or not to seal that is the question"!? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have never used the aftermarket 0-ring'd thermostat housing. I have used the cheapo chrome plated gasketed ones and found them to be very dangerous. The chrome is too slick to keep the hose from slipping off the housing should the clamp get a little loose. Personally, i'd go with a good cast metal gasketed housing and just paint it.

Yes, its true that if you crank down on the cheapo housings, they will distort and even crack the ears off. Never had that problem with the cast metal ones myself.

Mark
Old 03-19-2006, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

Hello
i cant get my hands on a metal one at the moment! i have to drive this car tommorow night so i took what i could get, the metal one i had has been misplaced by my ***** brother and it hasnt shown up in days. i would have to order one for 38.00 and would be few days before i could get it.
i have already called everyone i know that sells older parts with no luck and not enough time to drive somewhere else to look. so im having to take advantage of the cheap one, trust me i would MUCH rather have the original metal one. so im stuck for a week with this one!!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Put some sealer on it, and a gasket if you wanr to, it will be fine.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

thanks poncho, i have a gasket but i seemed like the o-ring wouldnt have any purpose if i used a gasket, ill ultra blue the sucker and hope it doesnt leak ill still go find me a oem neck on ebay cheap and suffer the cheapy chrome for now lol.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:43 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

they are bad for sealing, but i have run one on my 61 for years, the hose has never come off, did not use any sealer , you could take the o ring out and use a gasket
Old 03-19-2006, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the replies ive sealed and mounted the neck so ill see in the morning if it works!
Old 03-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

I have cracked the ears off of them, and the best advice I can give you is to MAKE SURE THAT THE THERMOSTAT IS DEAD CENTER IN THE HOUSING! Move the housing around without the bolts on...it should be a smooth surface. Once the thermostat is dead center, and you have the gasket on (never used the o-ring), just tighten down both of the bolts evenly. If it's even and you hold the housing against the block, it won't crack. Just don't overtighten. Do you have a shop manual? Check torque.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I found my local NAPA had a good selection of housings. I don't know your application, but their books were complete with pics.

Personally, I've seen the type you mentioned. They're good for about one time. The best seal is a cast iron housing and studs.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

If you are going to use sealant on it, I'd scuff the chrome surface up with som sandpaper or steel wool, just to give the sealant something to adhere to. If the surface is too slick, it may not "grab".

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.