Water neck won't fit! Help please... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Water neck won't fit! Help please...

My first post was to say hello and already I have a question. I tried the search function but either my issue is so twisted it isn't there or I need to learn to search better. I am in the process of dropping a SBC in my CJ7 and have come to the shiny new two piece billet water neck and the Edelbrock Performer intake. I climbed onto the bumper to screw it down, the knees hurt reminding me I am getting old, and I soon found out that the bolt spacing in the flange is too narrow for the holes in the intake! I took the one bolt out, scratched my head, climbed back on and tried it again... no go. I have about half a hole worth I can catch in the intake. I grabbed another water neck to try it out and the same thing happened. This intake was on the motor before I rebuilt it and the old chrome steel water neck fit fine as far as I recall. Am I missing something here? Is there an intake close to the SBC that I keep getting the water neck for by mistake? Did I stretch the aluminum when I torqued it down? After everything else in this conversion, something as simple as a water neck is confusing me!? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Pretty sure all the "SBC" water necks are the same fit. And you have a stock one and it won't fit either is this what you are saying ? If not find a stock one a put it on you will be better off with it then most after-market housings JMO

Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 02-28-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. Actually, both that I tried were the same aluminum two piece o-ring style. I had basically a stock replacement chrome model on prior to this and though I would go with a new, high speed aluminum one. I called Edelbrock and they were stumped too. I would have thought that someome somewhere would have had the same issue but they had never heard of it before. They (Edelbrock) have a two piece model as well and I'm wondering if I should just try theirs if I want to stay with an aluminum one and avoid the China aluminum ones?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Your not getting a water neck for tpi engine are you? Maybe for a big block or something. I would use an oe replacement.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 PM

At this point, I have no idea. I walked back to the stock neck and held the new flange up to it and the holes seem to line up. The problem seems to be the countersunk holes for the allen bolts in the new flange. For that matter, when I put the stock replacement, chrome one on the intake, it seems like it too is a little narrow for the holes in the intake but there is just enough room to get the bolts to thread in.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Your not getting a water neck for tpi engine are you? Maybe for a big block or something. I would use an oe replacement.
All of those use the same neck....
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastOrange
All of those use the same neck....
Lt1 too? I though it was mounted different but looked similar, but i could be wrong.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Just when the confidence is there and things seem to be going good, this kinda stuff happens... I'm on to the tranny now. Maybe it will go in without incident...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Lt1 too? I though it was mounted different but looked similar, but i could be wrong.
LT1 is probabley different.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Solved, but I don't know how

Well I went to Advance Auto to see the guys and ripped open a Mr. Gasket neck similar to the one I had and checked the flange against mine. There seemed to be somewhat of a difference. We pulled down an EPS manifold and tried to match my flange up and it seemed to be much closer than mu old RPM. This, in and of itself, has no explanation. Why would one manifold have a different spacing than another? We tried the Mr. Gasket flange and it was better yet; wider spacing on the holes. So I got the neck, used the flange and my housing and it worked. Lesson learned. eBay parts can stay on eBay... This water neck came from The Speedshop just an fyi...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.