Water in oil.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 08:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Water in oil....

So I finally got around to putting oil in my freshly built 383 sbc before initial start up. I forgot to put one of the valve cover gaskets on (engine is sitting in car) and it rained while I was out of town (hood wasn't on). I poured the 7 quarts the pan needs and checked the dipstick. The oil has a very minor milky appearance to it. Water had leaked in to one of the heads through the valve cover and down to the pan it appears. So I've let the oil sit over night so the water could settle down to the drain plug. Today I unscrewed thr drain plug and sure enough straight water came out for the first second or two. I drained out about 3 liters of oil until it appeared the same milky colour. My question is, should this be a concern because now there is a very minor amount of water in the oil. I will top off that 3 liters I took out again and it be even less concentrated with water. I know I could have avoided all of this but lets just say the weatherman was wrong haha. Will this small amount of milky oil affect my initial start up at all?? Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

If the oil is milky looking, dump it all. If it were me, i'd pull the plug and let it drain overnight, then refill with new oil.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

the motor was never fired with it in there, so replace with new oil and you will be all set
Old 06-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Chief Petty Officer, USN

Last journal entry: My Monte Carlo
Last photo:

Drain the hole thing and fill it up and then drain it again to make sure all the water is out. When your initial cam break in is done drain it again. There's no need to take a risk with a new motor. 50 bucks worth of oil or 3000 bucks worth of motor. Take your pick. Personally, I would put a few quarts of diesel or kerosene through it after the first drain. It will help get the residual water out of it. Just my 2 cents. Later

The Wolf
Old 06-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Don`t be surprised if the same thing happens after the engine is broken in. Many a new engine will have condesation build up in a short span after break in. Many of my engines in the past did so, I removed the valve cover and milky colored oil was everywhere. After some miles were on the engine, the problem disappeared.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Lemme see, you have not fired the engine and the oil is milky? I wouldn't think there would be a milky look having only poured the oil with no run or other mixing. How much water came from this monsoon? Dunno, I'm wondering if you didn't start the motor and then realize the VC gasket wasn't on and maybe that water isn't from the rain. How much water could have gotten in the engine with the cover on???
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 PM

It doesn't appear that too much got in but enough got in to turn the oil milky and therefore be concerned about. The water has to be from the rain becuase I haven't filled the rad. or block with coolant yet haha. I sha'll change all the oil and put another 7 quarts in and see how it looks then. Damn this is a costly mistake!!
Old 06-09-2008, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

water in oil

I would also leave the plug out overnight, but i would pour another quart of oil in the motor to make sure before filling it up again.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.