Hot Rod Forum banner

Water in oil

756 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  78 monte 
#1 ·
I got remembering a truck I used to have.It was a dodge full size with a 318 in it.
The truck allways for the year and 3mo.I owned it and the year my uncle owned it befor me would get white foam in the oil and blow pure water into the air cleaner.It never use a drop of coolant in the time I owned it nor the time my unle owned it.Nor did it blow steam out the exhuast.Also if you added motor honey or STP w/ an oil change it wouldn't get foam for 300-400mi.
Now I allways atributed it to a high milage motor getting condensation in it.
The first time I sold it the guy calls me *****ing that I sold him a blow motor.So sick of his mouth I gave him his money and said **** it.Well I sold it a couple months later and the guys been driven it for a year now.
What do ya think condensation???

#3 ·
Yes the smog pump had seized and the belt had been cut befor I bought it.Also I might add that after the aircleaner got water in it I removed the tube from the cleaner and ran it to the ground like a road draft tube using a peice of heater hose.Which pretty much would rule out the pump pushing mosture back through the air cleaner. [ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: 78 monte ]

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: 78 monte ]</p>

#4 ·
The reason I asked if this truck had a smog pump is because the only way water can get into the system is either by a crack or from vaccum. A crack would show loss of water in the system, and a blown head gasket would blow steam and show water loss.The smog pump will draw hot crankcase gases from the system and recirculate through the intake to burn. If the smog pump or a diverter valve is bad it will not allow the proper flow of gasses back through the intake to be burned. These hot PCV gasses are trapped somewhere in the emissions system and when the motor cools down the gasses condensate and draw up moisture and are pulled back into the crankcase.I have seen this happen on a Ford Maverick with a 302 that I owned. Maybe this was your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.