Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Water Pump/Fan Clutch Wobble
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 06:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Water Pump/Fan Clutch Wobble

So I just replaced the water pump and fan clutch and when I got everything tightened down, I spun the fan blade by hand. When looking at the fins on the front of the fan clutch, it isn't spinning in a perfect circle. It sort of wobbles or looks like it's not spinning on center. I checked to make sure everything was on straight. I took the pulley off and bolted the fan clutch to the pump and it does the same thing. There is no actual play in the pump shaft besides a slight in and out that is barely noticeable. I even tried the fan clutch on a different water pump and it does the same thing. My question is, isn't everything supposed to be spinning in a perfect circle? I had some friends look at it and they all say I am being paranoid and the shafts are never be perfect on them. I'm just worried I have a bent pump shaft or fan clutch shaft and at high RPM it will break off and destroy my new radiator. Should I exchange both or not worry about it?