Hot Rod Forum banner

Water Pump/Fan Clutch Wobble

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Kris D 
#1 ·
So I just replaced the water pump and fan clutch and when I got everything tightened down, I spun the fan blade by hand. When looking at the fins on the front of the fan clutch, it isn't spinning in a perfect circle. It sort of wobbles or looks like it's not spinning on center. I checked to make sure everything was on straight. I took the pulley off and bolted the fan clutch to the pump and it does the same thing. There is no actual play in the pump shaft besides a slight in and out that is barely noticeable. I even tried the fan clutch on a different water pump and it does the same thing. My question is, isn't everything supposed to be spinning in a perfect circle? I had some friends look at it and they all say I am being paranoid and the shafts are never be perfect on them. I'm just worried I have a bent pump shaft or fan clutch shaft and at high RPM it will break off and destroy my new radiator. Should I exchange both or not worry about it?

#4 ·
If it does it on a different pump as you stated it's time to replace the fan clutch. If it's loose or doesn't spin true it can eventually damage the seal and/or bearings in your new water pump and it can also come apart sending the fan places you don't want it to go.

#5 ·
I tried to spin just the flange on the water pump but it does't spin freely by itself, only when you turn it by hand cause its a new pump and the seals are tight. Also the fan clutch is new so I don't know if the shaft is bent on that or what. I think I am just going to exchange both to be sure. I was looking at the water pump flange and on the edge by one of the stud holes its chewed up a little bit like it was dragged on something and has a small ding in the middle of the chewed up part so I think someone might of dropped it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.