Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Water Pump Question
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 01:35 PM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Water Pump Question

I've read some specs on a handful of after-market water pumps. Since I'm in "project mode", I want to replace the 351C stock pump before the weather starts getting cold.

Regarding the higer flowing pumps made by Milodon and Edelbrock, both claim that the pumps will circulate 20-30% better than OE pumps, which would make me assume that circulation will improve and they will cool better. I like the Edelbrock because it also has roller bearings which will enable it to hold up under stress a lot better. But both of these pumps are noticeably more expensive than an OE.

Question 1: Do they cool better and provide better circulation?

Question 2: Both offer cast and aluminum models, which is better suited for a non-racing application.

Question 3: Are either of these pumps worth the extra cost? The Miloden is somewhere around $90 and the Edelbrock is about $160.

Question 4: Having better cooling capability is one of my priority upgrading goals. I have a number of other cooling system modifications that I am going to install. Which pump will serve the purpose better, an OE pump or the "Hi-Flo"? PS - even if its small increments, this matters.

Thx...K