Hot Rod Forum banner

water pumps

883 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  cardaddyo 
#1 ·
what determines the long/short water pump on a 1st gen chevy small-block? :confused: how do you know which to use?

#2 ·
Don't know exactly what you are asking, but the short pumps were used on 68 and earlier and the long pumps on 69 and newer.

That is, except on Corvettes, they continued to use the short pump, because of space problems.

#4 ·
its for a 283 build-up that is almost complete,but wasnt sure if the pump mattered.i have the serp set-up for a 4.3,that will swap,but it requires a reverse rotation pump.i still have the original short style pump, and i want my mouse-house to be clean and uncluttered,that all but eliminates the serp set-up.what kind of flow (gph) should i look towards. its a 283 .60 over,flat-top 9.5:1 pistons,stock forged crank turned 10-10,recon.327 rods, comp 268 cam(prt# 12-242-2)(.477-.480 lift)vortec heads,valve job,all comp valvetrain,trick-flow full bodied alum. roller rockers,rpm air-gap intake,and a tinkered with 750 dp on top.electric is an option also,leaves only 2 pulleys and one belt!?? what do you guys think?

#5 ·
Short and long pump have the same capacity................so it wont matter which you use. I feel that the long pump with the alternator on the passenger side head looks less cluttered. Only problem with that is that the 283 head is not tappped to accept the alternator stud.....you can get around that though.

#7 ·
poncho62 said:
Short and long pump have the same capacity................so it wont matter which you use. I feel that the long pump with the alternator on the passenger side head looks less cluttered. Only problem with that is that the 283 head is not tappped to accept the alternator stud.....you can get around that though.
i have vortec heads so i could just find the right bracket, and i could mount the alt. to drvr,pass,hi,lo just about anywhere?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.