Water in trans after flood - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 05:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Water in trans after flood

My car, T-bucket, was in my garage when it flooded. The water was above the centerline of the crank. I did not start the car. The water line is visible on the body, the top of the pitman arm and the headers.

I drained the engine oil - no water. The water did not get as high as the dipstick. I drained the rear end - no water. Then I drained the trans. WATER in the fluid.

My question is - should I remove the trans and drain the torque converter? Can I drain the torque converter well enough or do I need a new one?

I think that the water got in through the vent , TH-350 trans.

Also posted on another froum.

Thanks,

Bill

Advertisement

Last edited by longt; 08-16-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM
quadrajunk a name earned

Last photo:

Here is a suggestion. Drain the trans fluid and put in new. Run the engine until warm and check trans dip stick to see if any water beads are present. If water is present drain the fluid again and fill with new fluid again. You probably want to replace the trans filter at some time. Keep doing this until no water is present.

Hope this helps.

BT
Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Last photo:

If there's water in there, after running, the fluid will look like Strawberry Milk.
Water in a Trans is Bad, the glue used to hold the Clutch friction material on is water based. When the Trans gets hot it will steam the Clutch material off.

I doubt any got in the TC but, removing it & letting it drain in a Bucket will will tell you. Since it hasn't been run, letting the Trans set with Pan off should be fine to dry it out.

Water usually gets in by the Vent, Dipstick, Detent Cable or Yoke seals.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM

I agree with SSsedan. The glue on the clutches is water soluble. If the water has reached the clutches, it probably got absorbed into the clutches, and even if you drain the fluid, the water is in the fiberous pores of the clutches and most likely will destroy the clutches in short order.

It won't hurt to drain it, install fresh fluid, run it for a few miles/minutes, and drain/fill a 2nd time to try and get all of the water out. It might take a 3rd drain/fill sequence just to really get it all cleaned out. It is unfortunate that this happened and I hope that flushing & filling it helps you avoid problems.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.