Hot Rod Forum banner

Wax after paintjob?

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Mirror Image 
#1 ·
How long do I need to wait to give my newly painted car a good waxing over?

#7 ·
41willys, color sanding and buffing the next day on a heat cured paint job is alright because none of the suipplies used contain contaminants. Washing and waxing detergents and coating could contaminate the paint and cause it to bubble or nameless other freakish things. Waxes prevents the paints finish to "breath" and exspend evaporating gases. Just as you said, the length of time depends on the application perameters, but a safe rule of thumb is 30 days :D

HK

#8 ·
I HAD MY CAR BASE/CLEAR COATED 3 YEARS AGO. I WENT TO THE GUY WHO PAINTED IT LAST SUMMER AND ASKED HIM WHAT KIND OF WAX TO USE HE ONCE AGAIN SAID "NONE" I HAVE NEVER WAXED MY CAR YET EXCEPT FOR THE VERY NOSE TO HELP AGAINST ROCK CHIPPING. IT STILL LOOKS LIKE IT WAS JUST PAINTED. T'HELL WITH IT.

#9 ·
Hey your right, 30 days is an excellent rule of thumb before washing and waxing, but do you actually think that the body shops and custom paint places will color sand and buff, then let the compounds sit for 30 more days? No they do not. It all depends on the type of paint used and how it is cured. Even though heat cured always seems (to me) to look the best prior to buffing. It will not hurt the paint, unless you are using something along the lines of lets say acrylic enamel, but that is becoming less common.

#10 ·
I work in a large Mercedes, BMW, GM Dealer body shop and many times the paint is sanded and buffed within an hour after it comes out of one of the bake cycle of the spraybooths. Although I don't agree with the process, I have yet to see a paint failure as a result of the process.Many of the acrylic urethanes will buff best within 48 hours after application and baking.However if you are doing a paintjob in your garage at home and letting it air dry then I would do as the others say and wait about 30 days before sanding buffing, and waxing.

#11 ·
That is correct. When I get my car finished, which will be paint, it will not be color sanded and buffed right away either. I work with acrylic urethanes myself, and grew up in the auto body business and custom cars. I am not an expert in anyway, but I know what is safe and what is not. I know you shouldn't use solvents and the sort, but the evaporation of escaping paint solvents in today's paint systems is much quicker.

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: 41willys ]</p>

#12 ·
An even better rule of thumb is to wait until the painted surface quits beading water,then it is safe to wax your fresh paint.I have waxed fresh paint the next day after I colorsanded and buffed it.Of course I used a carnauba wax,not a silicone based wax.Carnauba wax will allow the solvents to escape the painted surfaces.When washing,use a liquid car wash soap,not dish detergent.

#13 ·
For best results,bc,cc paint should cure for a mo. or longer,this is for shrinkage,before sanding.

Most commercial paint work,if it needs sanded is done within a few hours and polished or glazed. I
recommend 30--60 days before sealing and waxing.

If sanded within 12 hr.the paint is still green
and soft(makes easer sanding).Most new paint systems vent the thiner and fums rapidly, of course a lot depend on conditions,humidity,temp and so on.

Custom paint sanded and buffed early will still be shrinking, and need to be redone in a couple of mo.

I have three show cars,they have never been waxed,just glazed.I wax my drivers and beaters
to protect them from the elements.

NEVER NEVER USE SILICONE BASED POLISH OR WAX!!

Refer to paint mfg.tec sheet, Good Luck

69s for ever; TC;

#15 ·
I guess I am of the old school I still believe in waiting for atleast 30 days before waxing. I believe in it so much that I have just waxed my pick-up for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It is a 1993! I think the paint has cured on it long enough. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.