Hot Rod Forum banner

Wax&Grease Remover on Fiberglass

11K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  mrcleanr6 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!

I'm a paint and body newbie, but I'm getting ready to start prepping my '69 Super Bee's fiberglass hood for paint.

I picked up some wax & grease remover (proform) today to use to wipe the hood down beofe and after I sand it. The top of th hood is gel coated.

Anyway, the wax & grease remover says on the container... "THIS PRODUCT IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON PLASTIC OR FIBREGLASS".. I notice this after I buy it of course! ;)

Now, is this warning against using it on bare fiberglass? Is it safe to use these types of products on gel coat?

If I can't use the cleaner, how do I clean the hood before and after sanding?

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

#5 ·
Hey Guys!

Thanks for the tips!

So:

1. wash with detergent and water
2. wash with wax & grease remover
3. Sand surface.
4. wash with detergent and water
5. Paint.

Should I wash it w/ the wax & grease remover after step 4, or before step 4, or not at all after sanding?

At least it's going to be a while before I can paint the hood here... its still hovering around the freezing point. :( Gives me time to ask questions though! :)

Thanks again guys!

#6 ·
The warning from the manufacture should not be taken lightly however. The reason for the warning is some absorbtion of the surface cleaner can occur. If it is a real slow evaporating cleaner like the PPG DX330 (very slow) it can stay trapped in the glass VERY easy. After wiping dry very well, let all cleaner flash off well before you seal it with primer, paint or what ever.

Brian

#7 ·
Here's my way of new f'glass prep

1. hot soapy water and a scrub brush, rinse real well

2. wipe down with DX105 or denatured alcohol on gel coated areas only

3. allow lots of dry time so alcohol can help move water out of pores

4. sand and repair as needed (yes, they all need somethin!)

5. wash with milder version of hot soapy water and let dry

6. prime and surface for paint.

The biggest painindeazz 'bout glass is those friggen fisheyes and pinholes. The pinholes will allow solvent in. Trust me, there's pinholes in the 'glass. Good luck with it. You can use that solvent on lots of stuff, like gas stains on your alum intake, so ya didn't waste no dough by buyin it.

#9 ·
fordSR said:
Probably the manufactures legal disclaimer since rubbing on fiberglass can create static electricity, might creat a spark.......... flameable wax and grease remover... could be a major problem.
Bingo!!
If this ever happens to you, you better hope your heart is in good condition!
I saw it happen once at a Frieghtliner dealer, the painter was on a ladder wiping the truck down with wax and grease remover in mid summer and all of a sudden everything went up in flames.

#12 ·
Hey Guys!

Wow, Im definitely glad I asked the question! Definitely didn't think anything dangerous could happen from using the product, just though it could lead to a poor prep job!

I'll definitely just use soap & water, and some acetone or alcohol instead of the wax & grease remover... its definitely not worth risking having something blow up in my face!

Could a person use some kind of a synthetic applicator that doesn't cause static somehow?

Is there no danger with the alcohol or acetone of catching fire, or do they just evaporate too quickly?

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

#14 ·
BarryK said:
Bingo!!
If this ever happens to you, you better hope your heart is in good condition!
I saw it happen once at a Frieghtliner dealer, the painter was on a ladder wiping the truck down with wax and grease remover in mid summer and all of a sudden everything went up in flames.

hey barry thats some crazy s&%$. never hear of that.

superbee: acetone is an excellent surface claener for fiberglass or gelcoat. when doing any kind of fiberglass repair you always clean with acetone before repairing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.