Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wax and grease remover = mineral spirits?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep, if it's the same why not? But if it's crap low cost tape it isn't worth it to me.

My explanation of the money savings isn't enough of a reason to buy the "right" stuff?

It's like sand paper, sand paper accounts for about 3% of the shops supply costs yet effects 30% of the labor. What sense does it take to use cheap sand paper if it has to be changed more and slows down production effecting that 30%?

There are things you can save money on, that isn't one of them in my opinion.

Brian
You just don't know how right you are!!
There is NO crap at a building center as far as solvents, that you want to use on or in a good paint job! Period.
First of all solvents are rated for different used, so MEK or ACETONE at Lowe's, is not the same grade used in automotive paint.
Mineral Spirits, there must be 100 different ones and any wax and grease remover will be blended with 2-5, if it is a good one.

Here is the good thing for any of you that want to clean the metal with lacquer thinner or a Lowes, Home depot wax and grease remover.
I have so much experience with this, when you call and say your car bubbled, once you tell me the size of the bubbles and where they are showing up, I can tell you exactly what the metal was cleaned with, without you telling me.

Just did this last Friday, a body shop called and two weeks after they delivered a car it was brought back, the shop owner told me were the 6 bubbles were and what they looked like and I said the car was cleaned with lacquer thinner.
He said never in this shop and I said its the only thing that can cause this.
Two hours later he called back, hired a new body man, who had never done restorations before and said, "nothing cleans like lacquer thinner" OH was he right, as this will be an expensive redo as lacquer thinner will cause just one bubble per panel or two (rare) at the most.

This must be why bodyshops don't shop at these places to save money????
Just guessing!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BarryK For This Useful Post:
dinger (03-14-2013), John long (03-11-2013), MARTINSR (03-11-2013)