Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wax and grease remover = mineral spirits?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,114 Posts
I had one when I was a rep that I never would have thought of. I had just got there and was in the booth and there was a panel covered in fish eyes and we are talking about what it could be and he said "no" to about every thing I brought up. Then we walked out of the booth and sitting out in the shop right near the booth filters were a number of parts that had been painted in acid etch primer. When was that shot I asked, DING, DING, DING I could see the light go off in his head, it was shot between coats of the paint in the booth! The booth was running sucking the overspray from the acid etch into the booth! Yes it had filters but obviously something got thru.

I have said it over and over, there are so many variables in painting, why not eliminate as many as you have power over, because many you don't have any power at all! And buying non auto related products is a huge no-no to me. I have been in the paint company business and I KNOW there are relabeling of products. There very well may be the exact product that I am going to spend good money on out there on the shelf in the hardware store, it may be true. I know this, lots of games are played in every industry like this. But I'll be damned if I am going to take the chance on it for a few bucks savings. Every single thing I use is automotive refinishing grade, period. It is damn cheap insurance in my opinion.

I was painting at a new job when I was just 19 and I forget the problem I had, this was lacquer, it was wrinkling, or something, I don't remember. But my new boss went into the booth with me and he is standing there looking at it and he said "Painting is an evil". LOLOLOL, I don't agree but I sure can see where he was coming from.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-13-2013 at 09:13 AM.