Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wax and grease remover = mineral spirits?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
Sooooo, what one are you talking about, that is crap??

There are a number on the market and funny thing about this they are made to accomplish certian things and they usually do that very well.
Some are made for bumpers, some are made for interior work, some for cleaning normal bare metal and prep work outside of car.

They all do good for what they are made for but one made to do interior, is not going to work on bare metal worth a crap.

Do I also take this as you use a solvent cleaner on TPO, TEO, PP and PE raw bumpers???? What is the comeback ratio?

Buy the solvents at ace hardware or use the wrong solvent for the job and yes, I can see why you think it is crap.

When you used glazing putty on the endura bumper and had to redo, was it the glazing putty, that was crap or not knowing what you are doing?
OH MY GOD!!!!! just when I thought I knew what I was doing ,NOW they have TPO,TEO,PP and PE W&G and THATS just the water born stuff ...
I just bought my first gallon of water born W&G just for a raw bumper cover...I was planning on using the rest of it when I ran out of my slovent based...Things were so much easier when I was ignorate...
Why is it the more I learn the harder this work is? after 35 yrs things are supposed to be easier...These days I cant even prep a car without feeling like an idiot...
Heres a story (a true one)
I was prepping a car for paint one weekend and ran out of my good SPI solvent based W&G ,I called my dist. (at home) but he was out of town for the weekend.....all the supply stores were closed too,so I went to O'rielys and got a qt of theirs...man THAT stuff was the WORST crap I ever used.It wouldn't evaporate so I knew it wasnt working but used it anyway but only on the hood and roof ,the stuff actually had more fish eyes where I used it than where I didnt..I looked at the ingrediants and it was mainly mineral sprits not alcohol...I ended up giving it to someone to clean greasy front end parts,didnt work so well for that either....What I learned uplicolor cant even make a usable wax and grease remover...never mind about the (laughable) primers and paints....