Wax and grease remover = mineral spirits? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wax and grease remover = mineral spirits?

I read on can of Sherwin Williams R1K213 can of wax and grease remover-ingredients: mineral spirits? So that's all wax and grease remover is-mineral spirits?
They both smell the same, except a gallon of mineral spirits is like $13 at Lowes vs $24 for wax and grease remover. What's the difference?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
I don't know about this particular can of wax and grease remover but when I looked into this a number of years ago wax and grease remover was much slower than most anything you could get cheap.

Listen, wax and grease remover is according to your numbers $11 more than Mineral spirits at the "McHome" store. How long does a gallon of wax and grease remover last? Let's say you are doing completes, how long is going to last, three or four cars at least, probably more. So that breaks down to about $3 to $4 dollars a car savings.

How much are you spending on materials to paint a car? How about the labor to paint a car, how are you spending? How about that beer or smoke you are having after?

That $3-$4 isn't jack squat, for goodness sakes use the stuff the paint company makes for this very important step in the painting process.

Brian
Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Just cause it's sold at auto paint store doesn't make it any better than if it were sold at home improvement store. If I buy masking tape at body shop supply at $7/roll, shouldn't I use same tape if I bought it from Lowes at $5/roll?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

Yep, if it's the same why not? But if it's crap low cost tape it isn't worth it to me.

My explanation of the money savings isn't enough of a reason to buy the "right" stuff?

It's like sand paper, sand paper accounts for about 3% of the shops supply costs yet effects 30% of the labor. What sense does it take to use cheap sand paper if it has to be changed more and slows down production effecting that 30%?

There are things you can save money on, that isn't one of them in my opinion.

Brian
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep, if it's the same why not? But if it's crap low cost tape it isn't worth it to me.

My explanation of the money savings isn't enough of a reason to buy the "right" stuff?

It's like sand paper, sand paper accounts for about 3% of the shops supply costs yet effects 30% of the labor. What sense does it take to use cheap sand paper if it has to be changed more and slows down production effecting that 30%?

There are things you can save money on, that isn't one of them in my opinion.

Brian
You just don't know how right you are!!
There is NO crap at a building center as far as solvents, that you want to use on or in a good paint job! Period.
First of all solvents are rated for different used, so MEK or ACETONE at Lowe's, is not the same grade used in automotive paint.
Mineral Spirits, there must be 100 different ones and any wax and grease remover will be blended with 2-5, if it is a good one.

Here is the good thing for any of you that want to clean the metal with lacquer thinner or a Lowes, Home depot wax and grease remover.
I have so much experience with this, when you call and say your car bubbled, once you tell me the size of the bubbles and where they are showing up, I can tell you exactly what the metal was cleaned with, without you telling me.

Just did this last Friday, a body shop called and two weeks after they delivered a car it was brought back, the shop owner told me were the 6 bubbles were and what they looked like and I said the car was cleaned with lacquer thinner.
He said never in this shop and I said its the only thing that can cause this.
Two hours later he called back, hired a new body man, who had never done restorations before and said, "nothing cleans like lacquer thinner" OH was he right, as this will be an expensive redo as lacquer thinner will cause just one bubble per panel or two (rare) at the most.

This must be why bodyshops don't shop at these places to save money????
Just guessing!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BarryK For This Useful Post:
dinger (03-14-2013), John long (03-11-2013), MARTINSR (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

The patterns you see are pretty amazing aren't they Barry? Over and over and over and over you see patterns that soon are so clear, it's like you are a warlock or something. You can see what the guy did in the booth like you were a stalker face up against the booth window the day before.

They are THAT clear, these patterns are THAT clear guys.

mitmaks, how about a hamburger?

You have a McBland burger.

Then you have a fine burger at one of the specialty places in town.

Both are hamburgers, they even often have the same stuff, bread buns, hamburger meat patty, cheese, lettuce, pickles, onions, etc. look at them, they both have the same ingredients! Yet they taste TOTALLY different, why? The quality of the ingredients is the biggest difference.

Then of course there is likely more right? The kind of cheese, a seasoning here and there, that can make a BIG difference right?

Use the quality products sold by the paint manufacturers who have something to loose if it isn't up to par, and something to gain when it does it's job well.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
BarryK (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Last journal entry: getting started
Last photo:

Related question,,,

I don't want to high jack the thread...
But can I use the cheap laquer thinner for initial cleaning to remove junk? Then come back once metal is all bare and clean with the good stuff?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Brian:
The big difference is that with the McBland burger - you know going in what you are gonna get. It is national, it is built to a proven formula. Going to a local "one-off" burger joint is an unknown- it may be great, it may be the most gawdawful thing ever concocted (lets face it - we've ALL experienced that!) The odds favor the multi-million seller being much more consistent. Seems like when you are talking about the humongous cost of painting a car vs the small cost of a burger, your argument seems to favor going to Lowes instead of the small-market brands.

And yes, Brian, I'm just yankin' yer chain! I agree with your views. You are knowledgeable about auto finishing, whereas I am totally clueless - my best work involves a brush - but I couldn't resist the chance to tease ya!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by white72gs455 View Post
I don't want to high jack the thread...
But can I use the cheap laquer thinner for initial cleaning to remove junk? Then come back once metal is all bare and clean with the good stuff?
Yes, as that will solve the problem!
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryK For This Useful Post:
white72gs455 (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Brian:
The big difference is that with the McBland burger - you know going in what you are gonna get. It is national, it is built to a proven formula. Going to a local "one-off" burger joint is an unknown- it may be great, it may be the most gawdawful thing ever concocted (lets face it - we've ALL experienced that!) The odds favor the multi-million seller being much more consistent. Seems like when you are talking about the humongous cost of painting a car vs the small cost of a burger, your argument seems to favor going to Lowes instead of the small-market brands.

And yes, Brian, I'm just yankin' yer chain! I agree with your views. You are knowledgeable about auto finishing, whereas I am totally clueless - my best work involves a brush - but I couldn't resist the chance to tease ya!
LOLOLOLOLOL, Dave, you are absolutely correct in your analogy! LOLOL,

You know the funny part about this, I wrote that from the point of view of a guy who loves food! I savor every bite of my meals, I dine, I don't just eat to consume nutrients, you know what I mean? I believe food is one of the greatest blessings and gifts in our life and I savor it with all my senses. And those specialty burger places, I have NEVER been disappointed.

So that is what I see with the two burgers. To someone who doesn't feel the way I do about food, the person who isn't a food nut finds that McDonalds is a perfectly reliable place to eat where you can get the exact same burger in California as you can in Delaware when you are on vacation. And looking at it from that point of view you are absolutely correct, my analogy says to use the Lowes cleaner! Thanks for pointing that out, that is just too friggin funny.

Ok, let's go back to the cost, do you really want to save $3 a car on wax and grease remover chancing the damage to $800 in materials you are using?
How's that Dave, is that clearer?

Thanks again Dave for pointing that out as you did, damn that put a smile on my face this Monday morning.

Brian
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I'm hungry now
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Brian:

Know what your getting Nahaha nahaha
Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark View Post
I'm hungry now
Just make sure you wash your hands GOOD after touching one of those burgers! Talk about needing wax and grease remover! If one those burgers get anywhere near your car you need to be sure to clean it well before applying any primer paint or clear.

Brian
Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Just make sure you wash your hands GOOD after touching one of those burgers! Talk about needing wax and grease remover! If one those burgers get anywhere near your car you need to be sure to clean it well before applying any primer paint or clear.

Brian
I have a good friend that owns a mega shop, we first meant about 18 years ago as he was a body man at another shop and the owner called me one day and said his painter walked out and wanted to know if the next day I could teach his one body man to paint and we turned into good friends.

Well a couple of years ago he was getting some nasty fish-eyes, not all jobs but about 12-16 cars a week (a days output) but we never put it together that it was only happening one day a week until the end.
For almost three months we tried to figure out the problem, tried everything and no good results came.

Well he called me one day and the verdict was every Wed or Thurs he bought the shop KFC for lunch but he was always to busy to set out in the shop to eat with them. One day he did and he watch a helper get done eating and start working on a car, he realized he had not had any fish-eyes this week, so far. He did not say anything and sure as can be the next two paint jobs--fish-eyes.

Funny how we over look the smallest item, when we try and solve a problem.
Everyone now washes up after the KFC1
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
I have a good friend that owns a mega shop, we first meant about 18 years ago as he was a body man at another shop and the owner called me one day and said his painter walked out and wanted to know if the next day I could teach his one body man to paint and we turned into good friends.

Well a couple of years ago he was getting some nasty fish-eyes, not all jobs but about 12-16 cars a week (a days output) but we never put it together that it was only happening one day a week until the end.
For almost three months we tried to figure out the problem, tried everything and no good results came.

Well he called me one day and the verdict was every Wed or Thurs he bought the shop KFC for lunch but he was always to busy to set out in the shop to eat with them. One day he did and he watch a helper get done eating and start working on a car, he realized he had not had any fish-eyes this week, so far. He did not say anything and sure as can be the next two paint jobs--fish-eyes.

Funny how we over look the smallest item, when we try and solve a problem.
Everyone now washes up after the KFC1
I was having a horrible time with fisheyes about this time two years ago working a on a friends '55 Thunderbird. Barry, you were a tremendous help and even realyed that story to me so I dug down deep and eliminated every possible source of contamination in the garage and the problem went away (don't know what the ultimate cause was and don't care, it was gone).

During that time I was discussion the problems with him and I shared the KFC story and he was amazed that could have such an effect. A couple weeks later, while I was still working on his TBird, he came over an caught me and the family having KFC for dinner and he almost had a heart attack!! HaHa

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.