Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wax removal from textured trim plastic
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wax removal from textured trim plastic

Last year I waxed my 2008 Dodge Minivan with Meguir's liquid wax using a power buffer to apply and remove the wax. Vehicle looks great even today after a long winter but after I did the deed some of the wax got onto the black plastic trim pieces.

At the time I tried alchohol, hot soap and water, even tried the pressure washer to get the wax out of the pores. I've tried tooth brushes and nearly every household chemical including MEK to get this white wax out of the pores of the plastic.

The van is black on black so the white residue sticks out like a sore thumb on an otherwise flawless finish, the trim pieces are a textured black plastic which is where the problem is.

I got rear ended last month and finally had a chance to take the van in for a new bumper cover etc and while I was there asked to talk to the painter to ask him his advice on how to get this stuff off. We tried everything with no luck, we didn't try paint thinner since it would melt the plastic in the test area we tried it on.

So my question is, anyone know how to get this nuclear car wax off? Nothing seems to dissolve it? The painter recommended painting the trim black again which is crazy since the thing is like new.

Any tricks/hints or chemicals you guys know off I haven't tried yet would be greatly appreciated...I am not painting perfectly good plastic trim just to make it black again!

EDIT: Just had a peek at the FAQ at Meguirs and they recommend the following;

7. "How can I remove white stains from my vinyl trim?"
Spray some "Extra All Surface Cleaner G9332" onto a clean terry towel rag and wipe the residue. Follow with the application of some "Trim Detailer G10810" or "Natural Shine Vinyl Protectant "

Anyone have any experience with these products? Hate to buy some special product only for it be something similar to a household cleaner I already have laying around.

Here's the MSDS;
http://www.smitsgroup.co.nz/images/objectimages/G93.pdf

Last edited by 4 Jaw Chuck; 04-17-2010 at 12:24 AM.