Ways to gain more power.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2003, 04:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ways to gain more power....

I have saved my money up and have got about 450 dollars. I drive a 71 chevelle with a 350 and mild modifications such as headers, edelbrock 4 bbl carb, timing chain and cover, edelbrock airfilter, and hei ignition and a flex fan, wich elminated the clutch and exhaust. My question is what should be my next step and making it go faster? I was thinking about 3.73 gears or a cam or both. An edelbrock intake maybe? What would you guys do??
*Edit* Maybe a 4 speed??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2003, 05:32 PM

If you wanna go *quicker* get the 3.73s

If you want more power throw in another cam and maybe a better intake. You didn't mention your intake, but a cam and intake (assuming yours is stock or close to it) would probably be one of the best ways to use that 450.

Or maybe save up a little more and invest in some higher performance heads.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Vetter

You should put a 4.11 in the rear. Then you won't be able to keep the meat on the ground.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:48 PM

Nitrous!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Re: Ways to gain more power....

Quote:
Originally posted by Meangreen
I have saved my money up and have got about 450 dollars. I drive a 71 chevelle with a 350 and mild modifications such as headers, edelbrock 4 bbl carb, timing chain and cover, edelbrock airfilter, and hei ignition and a flex fan, wich elminated the clutch and exhaust. My question is what should be my next step and making it go faster? I was thinking about 3.73 gears or a cam or both. An edelbrock intake maybe? What would you guys do??
*Edit* Maybe a 4 speed??
Save another $450 and buy a good set of aftermarket heads. Be patient, the heads will be well worth the wait. Everything else won't make nearly as much power.
A gear change isn't guaranteed to make you car faster. I put a 4.11 in my car and it is going slower. The engine doesn't get loaded up enough to make its power potential. Now I have to go back to at least 3.73.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

First things first,

Make sure you tune what you have to the highest level before throwing a bunch of parts at the car first. Most Hotrodders add many high dollar parts and expect the car to perform at its maximum. It is necessary to tune the car using the appropriate tools / devices to verify all aspects of your cars tune. This is the most inexpensive way to gain performance.

In most cases when considering a gear ratio change to a 4.11 like what was mentioned earlier doesn’t always work. It is not the lack of power that hurts a car with a 4.11 gear in a car it is the height of the tire. A 4.11 or higher gear requires a very tall tire. Much taller that a typical 27 - 28" tall tire.

Additionally, if you put a 4.11 gear on a car with 27 - 28" tall tires you will suffer on the high end to the point that your car may only reach 95 mph on the top end not to mention the rpm you will pull at 55 mph, way to high. I have see guys put 4.11 gears in cars and take them to the strip only to find out that their transmissions shift into high gear long before the end of the ¼ mile and then hitting redline well before the finish line.

My experience is as follows:

I wanted to change the 3.23 gear in my 1969 Charger R/T that had 245/60/15 radial tires. My first though was to use a 4.11 for 1/4 mile performance. I checked a few gear ratios using a computer program called PC HOTROD and let the program tell me what the best gear ratio would be. It actually reported that the car would be just as fast using a 3.55 gear and would be a great deal more livable on highway cruises by lowering the top end rpms that we experienced driving at 70 mph highway speeds.

I always ask the guys at www.pchotrod.com for assistance with issues like this. Try them, they have allot to offer.

See the sample PC HOTROD Report attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pc hotrod chevelle.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	97  
Old 07-20-2003, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

The reason i was thinking 3.73 gears or something around there is because I have 2.73 right now. I heard that it will be around 38% better use of your low end torque if you go from 2.73 to 3.73. And i figure getting a cam would give me a little better low end and a few more horses. I'm runnig 27 inch tall tires right now. I'm not too worried about high end as my car doesnt handle high speeds very well. Im just looking to go from 0-70 faster. Im not too crazy about nitrous and im gonna rebuild the motor later and that is when im geting heads.. What about roller rocker arms??
Old 07-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Meangreen
The reason i was thinking 3.73 gears or something around there is because I have 2.73 right now. I heard that it will be around 38% better use of your low end torque if you go from 2.73 to 3.73. And i figure getting a cam would give me a little better low end and a few more horses. I'm runnig 27 inch tall tires right now. I'm not too worried about high end as my car doesnt handle high speeds very well. Im just looking to go from 0-70 faster. Im not too crazy about nitrous and im gonna rebuild the motor later and that is when im geting heads.. What about roller rocker arms??
I would get some 3.50s. Maybe adding a little more stall might help you off the line also. Don't get too crazy or you end up with no traction off the line and your car will get even slower.

Make sure you have the engine rotating balanced. Get some nice heads because they give you the biggest bang for the buck. Make sure you get roller rockers and not roller "tip" rockers. And if you can, buy a late model block and use a roller cam. Ditch your old flat tappet block if you are going to spend big bucks. The roller cam does make that much of a difference.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.