wb 97 Festiva cranks but wont fire - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 02:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

wb 97 Festiva cranks but wont fire

Hi guys its Fee here in Australia. I have a 97 WB Festiva 1.5, 5 speed manual. Was running ok and stopped on a cold night. I have replaced fuel pump, air flow meter, plugs and leads rotor button, distributor cap, crank angle sensor, and the ecm tested and ok. All the earths have been cleaned. Ignition switch cleaned and ok. Timing ok. Fuel pressure within spec, fuel pressure reg replaced was faulty. cca test on battery ok. All back probing tests on both crank all within spec. Traced problem down to no spark in crank mode. The moment key is released to run mode engine will fire, but will not run. Also had the distributor rebuilt march 08.
Finally got car running but only intermittently and not on cold mornings. If there are any further suggestions please let me know!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Does this auto have a cam or crank sensor? Symptoms are identical to one of these failing. If so you could sometimes pull them clean of excess grease and such re install them with results sometimes.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fee
Hi guys its Fee here in Australia. I have a 97 WB Festiva 1.5, 5 speed manual. Was running ok and stopped on a cold night. I have replaced fuel pump, air flow meter, plugs and leads rotor button, distributor cap, crank angle sensor, and the ecm tested and ok. All the earths have been cleaned. Ignition switch cleaned and ok. Timing ok. Fuel pressure within spec, fuel pressure reg replaced was faulty. cca test on battery ok. All back probing tests on both crank all within spec. Traced problem down to no spark in crank mode. The moment key is released to run mode engine will fire, but will not run. Also had the distributor rebuilt march 08.
Finally got car running but only intermittently and not on cold mornings. If there are any further suggestions please let me know!
It can only be one of 4 things, a faulty ignition switch, a faulty ignition module , a faulty PCM or a wiring problem.
I would get a wiring diagram and see how the ignition is setup (configured) to get its voltage while cranking. Obviously the ignition module has a bypass circuit to start the engine on a fixed timing value, the voltage signal has to come from somewhere to signal the module. I havent even seen a fiesta in quite a while, I do remember they seem to have lots of ignition module problems.I would start there and see if it is getting power to the proper pins while cranking. Be sure of what you are probing with the DVOM as you can hurt some sensitive electronics if you arent careful.Not sure if the ignition bypass is from the ignition switch, or if it is a PCM function.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.