Hot Rod Forum banner

Wd 40 on bare panels

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
My customers car wad stripped and some bondo work was done.Then the guy who was doing it decided he didn't want to finish the car and sprayed everything down with WD 40. Whats the best way to clean this mess up?

Mike

#3 ·
WD 40 is mostly a solvent so it won't be as hard to do as if he had maybe used a heavy oil. Did you mean he sprayed the filler too? :pain: If so or if there is any chance the WD contacted the filler anywhere I would think it all should be removed and redone besides anyone who would pull a stunt like that would be HIGHLY suspect as to the quality of his work anyway, you may be surprised at what you find under the filler.

#5 ·
I am no expert but I do know that filler is porous and will soak up water like a sponge so I can just imagine how much WD it would absorb, all the way down to the metal! Even if you could get primer to stick to it, which I doubt, it would in all likelihood lose it's grip on the metal eventually and cause major problems. I would remove every trace of the filler and re-prep the metal then go back with a quality product so you will be sure to not have problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.