We lost another one - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2013, 02:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

We lost another one

I hate writing these. A few weeks ago Wally Knight, who was from the Maryland area, passed away. He was a well known guy in the Chevelle community, and an Auto Gear distributor. Today, I lost another one. One who appeared a few times on the forum here. Dave Reed from Wallingford CT passed away unexpectedly. He was a lifelong hotrodder, worked in a speedshop in the 70s and became a damn fine transmission builder over the years. He did T10s, Top Loaders, Muncies etc. He was one of the nicest guys I ever had the pleasure of working with. This year at the Syracuse Nationals, his outdoor tent was blown up by some heavy weather, so we moved him into our indoor booth the next morning. Its sad these guys are leaving so fast.
To any of you younger guys: These guys lived it first hand, and when they're gone, so is that knowledge and experience. Get out there, ask questions so you too can pass the torch on and keep Hot Rodding the great hobby that it is.

Mods: I only posted this here instead of the general forum due to the fact that I believe he only posted in this specific forum. If you wish to move it, please do so.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
LATECH (09-20-2013), niteshifter (09-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Blown 502

Last photo:

I don't know these people but RIP and my thoughts & prayers go out to the Family & Friends

What I do know is everything you said is on the money and it really is a shame that many of today's youth will never know the people that made Hot Rodding and Classic & Performance Vehicles what they are today.
Although I've had high tech 9 Second Daily Drivers with AC, Cruise Control, Comfortable Interiors, Killer Stereo's, etc... I have still gone back to Old School Performance Vehicles over the last few years. I'll take a Carburetor and Spark Plug Wires over high tech any day and I'm glad to say that even being old & broken I can still fix pretty much anything that could possibly go wrong with them.

I grew up here in Long Island NY and it was a pleasure growing up in places like Motion, S&K Speed, McBetts, Merkle, and many others trend setters.
HERE HERE TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE MOLDED THIS WONDERFUL HOBBY/SPORT TO WHAT IT IS TODAY
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
RIP is right, I have to say, it hit me one time at a friends funeral who built some fine cars. They had photos of stuff he made including a little "wheel chair" he made for a dog who lost the use of it's rear legs. I was looking at that man in the casket and at his hands and it just hit me what those hands could do, I just stared at those fingers and hands and just couldn't get over it that he did so much with them, and now they are at idle for ever.

Brian
Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

Guys;
listen to me here, if you're having chest pains, flop sweats, circulation problems, headaches...please go to the damned doctor. This He-Man BS takes people away from their friends and families, and can usually be corrected and maintained fairly easily without too much trouble.
Theres really no excuse
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Guys;
listen to me here, if you're having chest pains, flop sweats, circulation problems, headaches...please go to the damned doctor. This He-Man BS takes people away from their friends and families, and can usually be corrected and maintained fairly easily without too much trouble.
Theres really no excuse
Was going to keep this to myself but this post makes it hard to do so, so...

I recently went in for my annual physical. My GP/Internist (a nice woman, very competent) asked me the usual questions, including "any chest pains?" To which I said, "well... for the past few months I have had an occasional strange sensation in my chest, not quite heart burn but close to it and it responds to a dose of bicarb".

After a few more questions she decides I need an EKG- my first ever. Afterwards she comes back in and says "Mark, you have an abnormal EKG. The Q-waves seem to indicate you've suffered a previous myocardial infarction (aka heart attack). ******* says I, under my breath. This is scary stuff!

They say there are only a few truly life altering moments. Like marriage, divorce, your children being born, the death of a loved one. Well, I no longer need wonder how close news like I got comes to these events. Suffice to say it's right up there.

I got an immediate appointment for a cardiologist to see me. He gave me a stress test. I thought I was in pretty decent shape but that freaking treadmill liked to have got the best of me! Truly an evil device; more like the program they run it on is evil- easy at first, then harder then *Holy Crap*! Uphill at 40 mph!!

The long story short is he could find no abnormality at all. Nothing, nada, zero, zilch. THANK GOD. So why am I even writing this? Because it just as easily could have pointed out a real problem. Had I not said anything, and there HAD been a problem, I could have died needlessly. I would encourage anyone to seek the advice of their doctor if they feel there might be ANYTHING out of the norm going on. Nowadays if things are caught early enough, the outlook is excellent. Wait too long, though, and the chances of a bad outcome increase dramatically and that's how we lose loved ones unnecessarily. So if not for yourself, do it for your loved ones- after all, you'll be dead and THEY will be the ones suffering.

Last edited by cobalt327; 09-23-2013 at 02:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (09-23-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

Mark;

Thanks for sharing your story. Due to my disability; I spent the majority of my childhood in medical centers, so I sometimes forget how awkward it makes other people feel. But, I've lost family members to Diabetes, heart conditions, colon and prostrate cancer. Each one of those people turned a blind eye to taking care of themselves. I watched my aunt have fingers, toes and eventually feet, amputated; not because her Diabetes was particularly aggressive, but because she was too lazy to test her blood sugar and modify her diet. I just don't get it, but the philosophical side of me says "its their life, they can do with it what they wish." Screw that, its downright selfish.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.