We need a Chassis forum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

We need a Chassis forum

I brought this up a long time ago and I thought it was going to be implemented, but so far it has not been. We really need a chassis forum....we get a lot of chassis questions...some seem to fit in the suspension forum and then a lot of them ...there is no real good place to put them other than the General Hotrodding Tech forum. I think we need a chassis forum...subforums to it could be brakes , suspension, and steering.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

We need a complete new organizational structure. The forums, the Knowledge Base, the Classifieds, and the Journals (eventually), need to be organized along the same structure. That way, for example, someone can search for "master cylinder" in the "brakes" section of the forums, the Knowledge Base, the classifieds, and the Journals, all at once.

At the core of this will have to be a solid definition of "chassis". The terms frame/chassis/suspension overlap. Making tight definitions of each of those would be a good place for us to start.

This is certainly something that we need to do eventually, but not immediately. Keep in mind that once we alter the structure, it's going to be a couple hundred or so hours of work to re-organize all of the pre-existing threads into their new categories. So, I want to be extremely certain that we've selected the proper organization structure.

I have the other thread regarding this issue bookmarked, and I will deal with this in the future (sorry for the "back-burner" reply). Right now, I'm finishing up a new homepage design, you can get a sneak peek here: http://www.hotrodders.com/1.html
Old 11-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
We need a complete new organizational structure. The forums, the Knowledge Base, the Classifieds, and the Journals (eventually), need to be organized along the same structure. That way, for example, someone can search for "master cylinder" in the "brakes" section of the forums, the Knowledge Base, the classifieds, and the Journals, all at once.
I hope you are planning to do this with the "search only" in whichever forum option. I mean, if I'm looking for a master cylinder to buy, I'd hate to have 350+ responses pop up detailing how to replace, rebuild, or install one. Just my $.04.

In a while, Chet.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I'm dredging this out of its place in history because I was absent when it was new and want to add my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Sounds good. I suggest a continuation and tightening of the base organization you started with -- using the structure of a car, from major assemblies down to parts. There are not many parts of the site that stray from this scheme, so it looks more like a refinement is needed (a bit of pruning and shuffling) than a completely new organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
At the core of this will have to be a solid definition of "chassis". The terms frame/chassis/suspension overlap. Making tight definitions of each of those would be a good place for us to start.
The idea of a "chassis" changed with unit body construction. When I learned the word, it was the frame and running gear, sans engine and transmission. It would include tires, wheels, brakes, suspension, frame, steering mechanism up to where the column connected. It could be the same with unit construction, where the body is the frame but doesn't include anything not essential to that function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
This is certainly something that we need to do eventually, but not immediately. Keep in mind that once we alter the structure, it's going to be a couple hundred or so hours of work to re-organize all of the pre-existing threads into their new categories. So, I want to be extremely certain that we've selected the proper organization structure.
I hereby volunteer to be the guinea pig. Re-organizing all of the threads should be mostly SQL work. Ever seen a 63K (2517 lines) bash script? I wrote such a monstrosity to deal with the insane job of completely destroying and rebuilding a customer accounts database each billing cycle. There was zero tolerance for errors in any customer's data for up to an 8 year history of data. It is certain that hotrodders.com does not contain as many out of pattern cases or data reorganizations as that database did, over its lifespan.

You provide 'what it is' and where you want it to go, and I'll do my best to automate the transformation in such a way that you can test the result before dropping it in place. That would leave you with the job of changing the vBulletin configuration to match the new database tables. There shouldn't be any manual moving of threads needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
I have the other thread regarding this issue bookmarked, and I will deal with this in the future (sorry for the "back-burner" reply). Right now, I'm finishing up a new homepage design, you can get a sneak peek here: http://www.hotrodders.com/1.html
I'll go dig that up. It would need refinement to add in the Classifieds and the Knowledge Base. IIRC, you were still working to move a couple of thousand links into the KB at the time of that discussion. It might take some extra head-scratching to integrate all the pieces and not have an unworkable mess of an organizational scheme.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.