We Went to the Big "Barn Find" Auction - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

We Went to the Big "Barn Find" Auction

My brother and I went to the big "barn find" auction at Hastings, Nebraska yesterday. Of course his air conditioning had broke in his Chevy pickup, he bought a brand new compressor and found out it was locked up when he went to put it on the night before so we ended up driving his Caprice. So if we bought anything we were going to have to go home and get a trailer. I'd have to buy a trip permit to drive my flatbed that far into Nebraska.

My brother was interested in the pink and white 1955 Ford 2-door sedan. It was in fairly decent shape for a 57 year old car but of course it did look worse than the pictures, isn't that the way it always is? They had the trunk open and the trunk floor looked real solid. It looked like there was a little rust in the floor of the passenger compartment. The front fenders were fairly decent but they still needed patching around the headlight area, most of these fenders are usually a lot worse though. The Y-block was locked up.

Just before they began to auction it off I overheard this gal talking on a hands-free device telling someone that the car was in great shape and it still had the plastic on the seats. Apparently she was some kind of buyer, possibly working for or running a buying service. We decided she might have been too young to know about those heavy diamond plastic seat covers people used to install in their cars since that was what the plastic was on the seats.

When they began to auction it off and they were looking for a opening bid the buyer chick made an opening bid of $4100 making it a one bid car. We think that was probably the guy she was buying for's top dollar and she opened with it. I'd hate to have her buying for me at an auction. I've seen a few one bid cars over the years, it's generally an inexperienced auction goer that makes that move but this was the first time I've ever seen someone that was obviously a buyer do that. It always makes me wonder what it would have went for if they would have started low. Hard to say, it could have been the guy's strategy.

My brother was also interested in a 48 to 50 Ford pickup if they had decent running boards and front fenders but they brought more than he wanted to give.

We did talk to several people from different states. The 1968 Cougar GTE was purchased by a guy from Oklahoma for $5500. The way it was in the ad we were expecting to see a 427 sitting under the hood but somewhere over the years it had lost the 427 and gained a 302, right car, wrong engine. We were surprised how much worse it looked in person but it still would have been worth more with the 427. The guy that bought it told us he was going to have a hard time finding a 427.

I took a video of a guy from Kansas City buying a 1950 Ford two door sedan. It was in pretty good shape and he was happy that he got it bought. We had a good discussion on how to unlock the engine.

There was a gorgeous four door DeSoto. I don't know what it sold for but I'd love to own one someday.

On the way home he asked me why we didn't bid on the 1958 Ford 2-door hardtop. He said that car had a lot of potential and it would have been cool to own. That's life, we are aways second guessing ourselves.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Whitey

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

CF2, that would be cool to go to.
I heard about this one, Nebraska seems to have a huge amount of old cars tucked away.Lambrecht auto auction to feature an unbelievable fleet of nearly-new classic Chevrolets - NY Daily News
Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thanks for the videos . and they got a free car wash too.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshifter View Post
CF2, that would be cool to go to.
I heard about this one, Nebraska seems to have a huge amount of old cars tucked away.Lambrecht auto auction to feature an unbelievable fleet of nearly-new classic Chevrolets - NY Daily News
We are thinking about going to this one also. The only thing is it's going to be a two day auction and harvest should be in full swing by then making it hard for me to get away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
thanks for the videos . and they got a free car wash too.
It rained pretty hard for a while. A lot of the not-so-serious spectator types left when it started raining.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

This looks to me to be somebodies long abandoned project.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

A panel van and a pickup.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

Another pickup.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.