Weatherstripping and Door Locks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2004, 11:41 AM
drive it like you hate it

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Weatherstripping and Door Locks

ok, heres the deal. I am finally getting around to putting new weather stripping and locks into the 77 Camaro. Looking at Year One, they carry all the weatherstripping I need, minus the trunk I'll prolly get it from Classic). My first question is, they carry both the repros and the GM stuff, is the GM stuff worth the extra 200 dollars? Second, should I expect any problems getting the old stripping off and the new stuff on? Third, some kits come with a metal strip that sits on top of the door, my ds door one is broken. The only choices are chrome or nothing, my car has black ones. So should I just get the chrome ones and paint them? or find some off a junked car (I know where several are)?

My next subject is door locks. I am putting new ones in on both sides and I know I need the cylinders, gaskets, and retainers. Do I need anything else? I heard something about some sort of paper inside of it that sits on the window? Also, how difficult a job is this? I am kind of intimidated by taking the door apart, especially since my car was so messed up by the prev. owner, who knows what I'll find. Thanks for any help guys. If you have any advice or I have left out some parts I need, please let me know.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2004, 07:52 PM

To answer your question.... No the GM stuff is not worth the extra money.

If anything, the quallity of the soft rubber-foam that is being used these days is better than the OEM stuff.

I just bought a complete set from AutoZone for my wife's 79 Trans Am. (same part # as your camaro's) ...they had to order it in of course... for about 80 bucks. This is for the doors, window channels AND the trunk.

It is the "gold series" from SuperSoft, and the quallity and fit is awesome.

I've heard that Soff Seal also makes a good product, although I think it is a little more expensive. (but still way less than GM!!)

Get the old adhesive off the best you can without getting into your door jam paint, and then clean it up with acetone on a rag. (just a bit, it will hurt your paint too, if it sits too long)

3M makes the best adhesive for weatherstrip, hands down. Permatex will work if thats all thats available.

That metal strip on top of the door isn't really chrome at all. It's stainless steel that is highly polished. I think the cars look better without it... There were actually two styles available. Some end on the door just behind the sport mirrors, and others go all the way and continue up onto the hood. Most aftermarket cowl hoods won't accept that trim. Also, GM never made it black. If yours is black, it's because someone did it after the fact. To black yours out, simply scuff the stainless with some 320 grit paper so the paint will stick.

And the door lock is a simple remove and replace operation. It has a push clip on the backside that holds it in place. The paper on the window... (huh?) No paper on any of mine... maybe I'm not understanding your question...

The hardest part of changing the door locks is getting your hands down in there to reconect the linkage...

Also, most auto parts stores sell the lock cylinders, but I prefer to mail order mine, so that both doors and the trunk get a matching key.

Hope this helps...

--------Brian
Old 02-28-2004, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

Wow, damn only 80$ for the whole set at Autozone? I may have to check that out. I think I'll just order the set without the chrome trim since I can pick up the piece at a junkyard near my house for like 20$ if that. I think what i had came o the base cars, I definitely have no chrome trim pieces so Im sure I don't need the chrome piece. With the locks, would you advise me removing the inner door panel to access it? I need to do this anyway as the mirror control is hung up in the window and stops it halfway down the travel. Thanks for the long reply man, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Last photo:

If I were you I would buy from Soff Seal. I have used them several times and they will get my business on my 34 when I am ready. They have a quality product and a very large selection. I would be skeptical of Auto Zone, I know they import a lot of parts from China.

Vince
Old 02-29-2004, 12:58 AM

Last photo:

Who sells soff-seal? I'll look for their website, but do any of the larger retailers sell their stuff?
Old 02-29-2004, 03:44 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

http://www.soffseal.com/
Old 02-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Last photo:

Soff Seal is actually a manufacturer that supplies product to many car manufacturers. Some will say the the original stuff is not as good as after market. This is due to car manufacturers specs. They may demand a different formulation of rubber vs a firm that is selling direct to the public. This can be good, or bad.

Vince
Old 03-07-2004, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

hey guys, I decided to go through NPD for the parts, my only unaswered question is whether to order the stuff with the exterior belt molding or not? I do not think I need to get the belt molding stuff. Here is a link with a few pics. Check out the ones with the MVC in the file name.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/merrill/

oh also, anyone know whether I have the short, med., or longstyle locks(1977 Camaro)? I believe they are the long style, but since I have to drive this car, I can't take it off to see until I am ready to fix it.

Last edited by redcamaro4spd; 03-08-2004 at 10:20 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.