Weber/Carter AFB Competition Series Tuning - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Weber/Carter AFB Competition Series Tuning

I have a '75 Camaro with a 350, and the carburetor on it is a Weber/Carter AFB Competition Series, four barrel, with the electronic choke. The numbers on the front of it are 9635SA 2310. I'm not a very experienced car tech, whatsoever, but there are some dangling participles on the drivers side of the carburetor, opposite of the E-choke mechanism, and I don't believe that they should be dangling. I was wondering, is there any one, or any place that can tell/show me how to tune the carburetor to it's best performance, and maybe show a picture of what that side of the carburetor is supposed to look like?

Also I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the carburetor but while the car was idling, it ran fine, but after i was driving and i let off the gas to slow down, the car would die. I was told that the idle was set too low, so I tightened the screw that sets the idle about a half of a turn. That fixed my dying problem, but when it's in park, it is running high, and it takes off when i have it idling in drive. It has difficulty starting like this now, and occasionally will pop, shooting smoke out of the top of the carb. I don't know what's going on here, but if anyone could help me, i would appreciate it, thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 12:21 AM

Last photo:

Carter AFB

Your Carter AFB 9635S is the same as an Edelbrock 1406 Performer Carb,I will post you a pic tomorrow,it sounds like some yahoo removed the linkage that activates the electric choke which will affect your fast idle setting and performance.If you have 12 volts to the choke when you have the key on and engine running the choke butterfly should be fully open in 3-4 minutes,then when you stomp the gas pedal it should return from fast idle to normal idle.The replacement linkage kit from Summit is Edelbrock part# EDL-1473 $10.25 I buy and refurbish and resell these Carbs just bought one last week.As far as tuning this Carb you can download the entire pdf file Tuning Guide from the Edelbrock website.

Last edited by JeffB; 09-07-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Does this motor have a high performance cam in it?
What cam?
Along with the carb choke/fast idle linkage fix up you may/probabily need to recurve the distributor for better idle quality and drivability.

Camshaft? Idle timing at normal idle speed RPM? How much at what rpm?{ without vac adv}
base/static timing at lowest possible idle speed. (Turn the idle speed right down low) { without vac advance}
Full max mechanical advance at what rpm? {without vac adv}

Vacuum advance? how much?

You can use Edelbrock performer carb tuning service parts and kits
or Carter (Federal Mogul) "strip kit" stuff.
same jets and rods, differnt part numbering ID system.
measure your rods and jets with a dial caliper and drill bits to find the equivelent Edelbrock part.

fuel pressure at idle max 6.5psi. 5 to 5.5psi is best.

Automatic trans? Torque converter stall stock? or what stall speed ?

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 09-07-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

AFB pics

This should help you out,the first two pics are of the 9635S Carter on my car,pic #3 is a Edelbrock 1406 if you notice Edelbrock eliminated the stop rod by the choke housing,your carb will function OK without it.Use the Edelbrock tuning guide for instructions on setting your choke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edelbrock carb 004 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	40482   Click image for larger version

Name:	edelbrock carb 005 (Medium).jpg
Views:	964
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	40483   Click image for larger version

Name:	edelbrock carb 006 (Medium).jpg
Views:	860
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	40484  
Old 09-07-2009, 01:13 PM

A friend came over today, and kinda fixed the carb, the problem was that the air/fuel mixture wasn't set correctly. But I got in the car this after noon to test drive it, I quickly discovered that the Ignition Lock Cylinder was locked up and the key would not turn it. I took out the cylinder and the lock still wouldn't turn! I just think I have to buy another Lock Cylinder, but if anyone knows how I could fix this problem, the help would be appreciated because that's twenty bucks I can use for gas = thanks Jeff, nice lookin engine btw.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 AM

tunning carter 4 barrell competion carb.

hello this carb sits on a zz3 motor in a 1969 camaro. the year of the engine is 1993, anyway never set the carb or fine tuned it since being in the car in fact the motor has maybe 5000 miles on it since restoring the camaro. anyway ive always had a slight hesitation when getting back into the gas. i no that engine was suppose to have a holley 750, but after having a 650 double pump on a 302 chevy i got tired of the dam thing flooding so i opted for a smaller carb i beleive this is a 500 im 99% positive of that. my questions is what adjustments can try with this carb to add fuel to the mix. thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by our69z28 View Post
hello this carb sits on a zz3 motor in a 1969 camaro. the year of the engine is 1993, anyway never set the carb or fine tuned it since being in the car in fact the motor has maybe 5000 miles on it since restoring the camaro. anyway ive always had a slight hesitation when getting back into the gas. i no that engine was suppose to have a holley 750, but after having a 650 double pump on a 302 chevy i got tired of the dam thing flooding so i opted for a smaller carb i beleive this is a 500 im 99% positive of that. my questions is what adjustments can try with this carb to add fuel to the mix. thanks
Save this file! Probably the best tuning guide out there:http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/carterafbtuning.pdf First thing you might try is at the accelerator pump,notice there are three holes in it most are usually set in the center hole try the other two and road test after each change to see if it makes a change also check to see if your vacuum advance is in the right port I posted a picture for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406_edelbrock.jpg
Views:	1582
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	75864  
Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

If you've got a 9635 like in the original post then it's a 625cfm carb set up to work with an egr.THe info is here.
Carter AFB part numbers and carb sizes

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.