weiand 177. anyone take one apart? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

weiand 177 blower

this is probably a stupid question, but how do i drain the oil out of the 177. i took the fill plug out and turned upside down no oil came out. the manual says fill oil to bottom of sight glass. theres oil in it. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

I would guess there's a drain plug at the bottom.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

I am not too familiar with the 177, but you can take out one of the screws on the bottom of the front cover. That should allow the oil to drain. Just have something to catch it when it does.

I only have about 4 hours on my 6/71, so I have not came to that bridge yet.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

i cant seem to find anything. the instructions say oil level should be at bottom of sight glass. ive taken fill plug out and turned blower every angle and oil does not want to come out. sight glass shows oil at bottom. baffled! next question will be about the water meth injection. thanks for input.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 PM
471A

Last photo:

The B&M/Weiand/Holley 144, 177, and 250 use the same dual rotors cut from a common extrusion, just each one longer than the other from 144-250. Consequently, the front covers on these blowers are similar, if not identical. There is no oil within the blower case itself. Rather, the oil feeds the gears in the front cover. Without removing the blower from the engine, one can remove the sight plug. That plug, as you note, is the measure for the oil level, the appropriate amount intended to be at the bottom of the sight plug when the engine is cold. Look closely at the sight plug and you should see either two or four slots on the perimeter which will accommodate a blade. I remove the sight plug by using a thick feeler gauge as a screwdriver to remove the sight plug by threading counter clockwise. I then match hose from a hand-held suction pump to the now open drain at the front of the blower, taped to the blower cover so that suction can truly pull instead of leak, and extract the oil by using the draw, and not the "push" of the suction pump. There also is, at least on the 144 and 250, a drain plug on top of the front cover which, when one turns the blower upside down, allows oil to drain out. Unlike the method I use, however, draining oil from an opened fill slot atop the front cover requires removing the blower from the engine. My Rube Goldberg concoction works fine, combing use of a feeler gauge as a screwdriver and duct tape to seal the inlet to render a hand-held suction pump as an efficient means to extract oil from the front cover. This allows removal of oil without having to pull the blower, along with the fuel lines, carbs, throttle linkage, fuel lines, etc.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:42 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj55
i cant seem to find anything. the instructions say oil level should be at bottom of sight glass. ive taken fill plug out and turned blower every angle and oil does not want to come out. sight glass shows oil at bottom. baffled! next question will be about the water meth injection. thanks for input.
This is for your 2nd question. If not running an intercooler, and you want to run more boost without detonation, then a 50/50 mix of water methanol will evap in your compressed side and cool that intake charge quite a bit. I have done this on 2 different rides and on one of them I just used a headlight washer pump (they run at a higher pressure but lower gpm rate than a windshield washer pump), a boost activated switch and a mister nozzle.

Bob
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
used a headlight washer pump (they run at a higher pressure but lower gpm rate than a windshield washer pump), a boost activated switch and a mister nozzle.

Bob
Thats interesting. Where did you source the headlight washer pump from?
(car model?, part number?)
How much pressure do they create? What did you use for a misting nozzle? ( type, size?)
Where did you inject, above and thru the carb?, under the carb into the blower?
or in the intake manifold below the blower..or?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

Regarding the water meths injection I have installed a system by Blowerworks. Only recently got the thing to work properly though. The fancy map sensor and black box just didn't seem to work. I now have a simple pressure switch sensing manifold pressure which starts the pump. I inject above the blower below the carbs. You should have a cut off valve which prevents suction of water meths when manifold vacuum exists which is often. Otherwise you will be sucking water meths when its not required. I have two injection nozzles .040 each injcting around 30 gal per hour. When ater meths on AFR fattens to around 10 in my case which helps avoid detonation too. May need to fine tune this though.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

i bought the charger used, i tried to put oil in and it sits on top and doesnt go in. weiand thought there might be something wrong with casting. has anybody encountered this problem before. im trying to avoid tearing the whole thing down knowing i should. thanks for all the replies
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 PM
471A

Last photo:

Keeping in mind that the sight plug is removable, why not remove that plug then, with the oil inlet also opened on top of the front plate, try a shot of compressed air into the now open sight plug slot. If no oil, and no air, comes out the top through the open oil inlet, then there may indeed be casting slag, or a mis-manufactured front cover, blocking the path for lubricant.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the tip. try tomorrow
Old 07-22-2011, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

weiand 177 noise

im starting to get a loud wine on supercharger. not the normal noise but one that sounds like a bearing or something is starting to go. havent put much time on blower but think its time to figure it out. my first problem is something is blocking the oil from going in or coming out. if i take the sight glass out and spray some air down the fill and nothing comes out, can i take the case off the nose to look. when i spoke to blower shop they said i need to measure all the tolerances as i take apart. wondering if there was a casting flaw i could fix. thanks for all the input
Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 AM

Last photo:

weiand 177. anyone take one apart?

wanna thank everybody for their input. just took my front cover off and cant figure out how the oil gets into the case. where i fill the oil in the blower has a valley that has no hole to drain oil into case. bought the blower used and when i got it i couldnt drain the oil or add to it. anyway its the half moon slot in the 2 pictures. im assuming its a manufacturing defect and they forgot to drill some holes or slot. just wondering if its okay to drill a hole or two. thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip oil valley 1.rtfd.zip (96.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: zip oil 2.rtfd.zip (108.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Your pictures are confusing, too close. Here's a picture from Holley of a 177, I can't orient your pictures to match the fill hole in the front cover in relation to the sight glass. I seriously doubt they forgot to drill holes and don't see where that half moon space even holds enough gear oil to do any good. Is the blower upside down in your pictures?

It looks to me like the fill hole on the upper left of the cover goes right into the main gear case in the picture.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Multiple posting merge

A thread of yours of the same issue and this one have been merged.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.