Weiand 177 blower - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 10:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Weiand 177 blower

Im considering a Weiand 177 proStreet blower for my 454. Well the GM HEI cap clear that blower housing ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2003, 10:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Good THought

Hey man,
I am researching Weiand blowers heavily myself, a 142 for a 334 and/or 6-71 for a 388. I think you gave me some advice about the stroked 305?! That isn't the blower motor, but I have another 305 sittin in the corner as well. Anyway, I love the 177, right around 2k in price and gives you 40-55 percent over stock. Plus, you don't need crazy mods to install them; most engines can handle their low boost pressure. I had similar questions when I planned on my build. The best place to go is www.weiand.com. Click on the superchargers link, and then click on the general and technical information link. They had everything from what a blower does to how to pick a cam to ignitions and carbs. They also talk about compression levels, and what will work with what engines. For even more advice, look at the Holley and Weiand online catalog under the pages of "Air." They go into very good details about all aspects of using a blower. I believe that the Pro Street blowers (256 and lower) will clear a stock HEI housing, at least on a SBC. The ones that won't clear are the 6-71 and larger blowers. If it doesn't clear, the MSD short height Crab Cap distributor is an awesome replacement, especially with a Flying Magnet Crank Trigger. HTH!
P.S. A few weeks ago I saw a guy with an early 70's chevy truck at a car show. I noticed he had a 177 on his sbc. He had a Mallory ignition I think. We talked a while, and he loved it. I didn't really pay attention to the ignition because it wasn't a concern of mine until recently. He said the blower was good because it is very streetable, at least on his application, but it gave his truck nuts when he needed them. Good Luck.

Last edited by BlownBirdy; 12-13-2003 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Stepside, you shouldn't have any problems with the HEI. I recently bought a complete Mallory Comp 9000 system for my Weiand 8-71 SBC, which is very close to if not a bit larger than the HEI, and it comes very close to clearing that monster. It will fit but when turned the plug wire boots contact the rear cover. Unfortunately, almost isn't good enough and I'm watching my mistake dwindle away on eBay as we speak, my mistake - somebodies gain I'm afraid, when it sells I'll put the $$ toward the small cap MSD Pro Billet and eat the loss.

You'll love the blower, if you'd like I can measure the dist C/L to the blower distance on the 8-71 or any other reference measurement. Compare the case lengths, even just a visual and you'll know.

Larry

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.