Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - weiand accelerator vs offenhauser 360
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Offenhauser Dual Port

"Back in the Day" I was a manager here (see Pic Below) around 1976 I had the pleasure of talking with Fred Offenhauser Jr. for a while and we talked about the Dual-Port it is and was a much better intake than many give it credit for,tuning it is where the problem lies.Offy claimed the Dual-Port primary runners which are smaller increased the speed through the runners to a much higher speed and velocity this was to provide increased fuel economy and low end performance then when the Carbs secondaries opened the primaries velocity would suck the secondary flow along for the ride.The trick was finding a leaner jetting and correct power valve with a Holley and playing with the jets and rods in an AFB Carter or Quadrajet for the primaries.The higher velocity primaries changed the amount of vacuum reading you would get.I have used them on SBC's and they can work well,the manifolds with the spreadbore base for some reason worked better than the square bore intakes.The Weiand Accelerator you have is actually a good match for your cam and stock heads as the ports are not overly large,for a dual plane with your setup the Weiand 8004 would be OK a cam swap to a Comp Cams CL12-231-2 would up that low end and mid range over what you have,it all gets down to budget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0043 M&M.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	67877