weiand accelerator vs offenhauser 360 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 08:46 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55_327 View Post
Doug Flynn at Holley told me their dual plane Stealth (now Speed Warrior) manifold makes better power than the X-CELerator up to almost 6000 RPM. So, unless your engine spends most of its time above 6000 RPM, a dual plane is the way to go. The Street Warrior places an emphasis on low-mid range torque, but even it probably kicks the X-CELerator's butt up to 4500 RPM or so.

Just because the engine will run at 1500 RPM with an X-CELerator doesn't mean the power band goes anywhere near that low. Being required for a certain racing class is the ONLY reason to use one.

Jeff, I love the old school stuff, even some GM 283/327/350 cams. But this manifold is a relic.
On top of that the intakes mentioned really aren't even good single planes when compared to something like the Super Vic.

Just like the old Torker II- its a manifold that you can buy used for $25 and an engine will run with it but it isn't great for anything other than being a cheap intake to put between the carb and heads.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM

Super vic is the biggest manifold or close to it that you can use before a custom intake or sheet metal intake.I wouldnt recommend it to many people.The vic Jr is better for hot street engines.

the tanantula and torker are both good manifolds if used on the correct engine.I would use either before using a performer.I would recommend that other people use the performer though.The edelbrock scorpion was a great manifold before the improved vic jr.If you are on a budget then sometimes a used intake is a good deal.If you want the "best" for your application then you have to buy exactly what fits the situation.
We all seem to agree that the offy is not the answer.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Super vic is the biggest manifold or close to it that you can use before a custom intake or sheet metal intake.I wouldnt recommend it to many people.The vic Jr is better for hot street engines.

the tanantula and torker are both good manifolds if used on the correct engine.I would use either before using a performer.I would recommend that other people use the performer though.The edelbrock scorpion was a great manifold before the improved vic jr.If you are on a budget then sometimes a used intake is a good deal.If you want the "best" for your application then you have to buy exactly what fits the situation.
We all seem to agree that the offy is not the answer.
JMO but there isn't a chance in hell of me using a Vic Jr. when I can use a Super Vic in its place. UNLESS you're dealing with really small cubes like a 283 or smaller.

to 6,000- RPM, past 6,000 super Vic.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 AM

AP,the super vic flows more air,true.The vic jr will feed a 440 to 7,000 rpm.The super vic will feed the same engine to 8500 rpm.
So why not put a 4781 holley on that 283 to match the vic jr?
If I built a 283,I would use the torker intake and a 750,where other people would likely use the performer.Its all about where you want the power and how much you are going to make.That 283 wont move enough air to make 650 horse power where a vic jr will flow enough air to make 650 hp.I had an offy dual port on my 65 acadian with a 283 and a carter carb,,,,It was not very impressive,,,
Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
AP,the super vic flows more air,true.The vic jr will feed a 440 to 7,000 rpm.The super vic will feed the same engine to 8500 rpm.
So why not put a 4781 holley on that 283 to match the vic jr?
If I built a 283,I would use the torker intake and a 750,where other people would likely use the performer.Its all about where you want the power and how much you are going to make.That 283 wont move enough air to make 650 horse power where a vic jr will flow enough air to make 650 hp.I had an offy dual port on my 65 acadian with a 283 and a carter carb,,,,It was not very impressive,,,
I wasn't referring to the flow, just the runner and plenum shape and size.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:16 PM

What is written about the Offy Dual Port is 100% correct. What ISN'T written, is the divider takes up so much "room" it changes the shape of the overall runners, severly restricting it at all ranges. I saw 100 small blocks and Pontiacs with that "thing" on them in the '70s. C4-B (C-327-B) and P4-B would out-perform it at all levels, including low-end.

Edelbrock "Streetmaster", though useless above 4,500, was one open-plenum intake that could make low-end torque. The runners are so small, velocity is crazy-high. Tough to tune and not real fuel-efficient.

We use Super Victor ONLY on engines 400 CID-up. Victor (any of them) is a RACE intake, not really well-suited to street use. The power bands are very specific and usually quite narrow. Plenty of folks run them on hot street engines, and they DO "work". Victor, jr. on a 406 is a pretty nice "driver" if you don't rev it too hard. But this discussion started over a torque build... (:-

Jim
Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM

I ended up not buying the offy intake.
Another question i have is would it be a good idea to try a divider plate for the weiand or just leave it open?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The 7546 will work a lot better for you if you put the plenum divided plate in it.
Either buy it or make your own out of sheet metal.
A performer RPM is way better.

this is really going to suck with stock unported heads and low compression.

Both the intake and the cam need compression and rpm.
Get a 3500stall and gears.
If the compression ratio is less than 10:1 advance the cam more.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 09-18-2012 at 12:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to F-BIRD'88 For This Useful Post:
ryan v (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 AM

i'll probly make a plenum divider. My compression should be between 9 to 1 and 9.5 to 1. i'm runnin 186 double hump heads and the cam was advanced. The truck its in has 4.10 gears but a stock converter.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.