Weight factor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Weight factor

Hey guys Ive noticed weight is a common subject for racers. I have a super heavy c10 "around 4000 pounds..I think." I was just wondering how much that weight is holding me back. I was looking at the 60's chevy II and and GenI Mustangs they weigh around 2600. If you put the same 350 thats in my truck in that little chevy II would it just smoke my truck? I would think so but how much power does that weight suck outta the engine? also what about the drivability factor. Would the little chevy 2 just not handle the power well? wheels spin on take off..handle bad..what would the outcome be? Im sure my questions are way lame to you experienced hot rodders but im just wondering cause my trucks my daily driver and if I could build a little Chevy Nova II or early GenI Mustang that will rip around town and not take as much gas to get going as my truck does...I think id sell my truck and look for a little light weight Import munching monster
Dont get me wrong. I dont want a little light honda but a 350 sbc powered classic weighing close to the weight of those imports is verrrry tempting I was raised on my dad and uncles stories bout their gto's, camoros,BelAirs chevelles.....I want something that will make those little imports curse the day they were born!!!...and better fuel economy than my c10 gets would be nice to

So how big of a factor is weight...all around performance wise. Speed, Handling, Fuel economy.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Weight makes a big difference. Rule of thumb is 100 lbs equals 1 tenth of a second at the track. Btw, a Gen 1 Mustang is closer to 3000 lbs with the Fastback being a bit more. My 289 powered 4 speed 66 Fastback with no options was 3050 and ran a 15 flat with a nearly stock engine and a 2.80 gear. The gear really limited the car in the 1/4 mile but I liked the ability to cruise the highway and actually get good mpg at 75 mph.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

Hmm what year is ur mustang. Im reading that the 65-66 are 500-900 pounds lighter tha the 67-68. Not sure if the source is correct but another thing I read yesterday said that the 65 or 66 was 2600 pounds. If thats true Id love to get a car closer to that weight. I love my c10 but lugging around an extra 1000+ pounds isnt verry cool Im sure it would save me alot of gas in the long run and I bet a little chevyII or mustang would be a fast little ***** with a v8 in it
So you say .1 secs for every 100 pounds. Im beginning to think I rushed into my truck and should have bought a car lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

Is the weigt factor alone enough to justify buying the mustang over a say..67 Camaro weighing 3200 pounds...How much power would it take to make up for that extra weight? Are the engines pretty much strong enough to pull what ever weights attached to them and not suffer much do to weight?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Obliviously ... the weight is a big factor. That is WHY most racing associations have weight breaks or classes with HP to weight ratios factored in.

The early 62/67 Nova Chevy II is about the lightest Chevrolet that a SBC fits in easily ( factory parts ). A lot of the Fox body Mustangs ( mid 80's to 93 ) now have the SBC in them. Low weight and excellent HP make for a quick ride.

IF you can fabricate and weld a little ... a early Mustang with the lowly 4 cylinder engine would be fairly inexpensive to find and buy ( in my area anyway ). Then install either the SBC or SBF of your choice.

Early model Fords ( from the 20/early 30's ) are even lighter than the Mustangs and Novas

Most weigh in at less than 2500 pounds ... have a full frame and are a TON of FUN to own and drive

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Hot Rod magazine did a story several years ago where they took a Cadillac up to L.A. County Raceway and began to piece it out. Make a pass, take something off, make a pass, take something off. When they got down to the frame rails and a seat, it was pretty quick. I was trying to find the story, but couldn't.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:14 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

You should get that truck on a scale. I'm not too sure on the weight of the 73-87's but 4000lbs sounds a bit optimistic. I took my 1996 on the scales and with me and my pregnant girlfriend in it (don't ask, haha) We were just above 6200lbs. I weigh 195 and she's 145 so that would put my extended cab, short bed 3/4 ton with a 5.0L and 4l60e at about 5850 pounds give or take. Now that's one Heavy Chevy, lol.

If it truly is 4000lbs, it's not really that heavy unless you're competitively racing, which it doesn't sound like you are. For reference, a new Dodge Challenger is about 4000lbs and a new Mustang is about 3600. Putting all that power down to the ground and having a well matched drivetrain is going to make that truck seem a lot lighter than it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Hot Rod magazine did a story several years ago where they took a Cadillac up to L.A. County Raceway and began to piece it out. Make a pass, take something off, make a pass, take something off. When they got down to the frame rails and a seat, it was pretty quick. I was trying to find the story, but couldn't.
I read a similar article to that a couple years ago about a little nissan or some import where they hacked it down to the floor pan, drive train, seat and doughnut spares and ended up cutting something like 2 full seconds off the ET.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

Dang I really like the looks of my truck but if Its weight is going to be that much of a burden on my engines power then id take a lighter quicker car any day.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

Chevy 350 powered RX-7, 2335lbs, 9.5:1 on pump gas, driven everywhere it goes...

It's much easier to be quick if you start out with a light car.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

What kind of 350 do you have in there? Is it hard to get an old 350 to pass smog in a newer car? can you use headers, duels, all of that sort of stuff...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

A buddy of mine has 1st gen Dakota with a stroked 318. It's now a 390 cube engine with a turbo. This thing flies and is right at 3300 with ac, ps, pb. Dakotas around here are cheap and plentiful and came with V8's from the factory. The RT is 360 powered but that's a 2nd gen truck and is 3900 lbs as a short bed conventional cab with similar options. Even the non RT Dakotas 2nd gen trucks are around 3600. The S10 is lighter but also smaller.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
That article was called "The Caddyhack". Should be still out there somewhere; if I find it, I'll post the link.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITAR1989
Dang I really like the looks of my truck but if Its weight is going to be that much of a burden on my engines power then id take a lighter quicker car any day.

You can lighten your truck up. They do have fiberglass parts for it, and buddy, you can always add more power. Put a turbo on that thing and have some fun!
Old 06-19-2011, 05:51 PM

techinspector1, you article is ready.

http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/...ght/index.html

EDIT- Here's one more for you Corvette lovers. http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/h...est/index.html

Last edited by cleanspeed1; 06-19-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanspeed1
You can lighten your truck up. They do have fiberglass parts for it, and buddy, you can always add more power. Put a turbo on that thing and have some fun!
Turbo? Yuck! Supercharger all the way.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.