Weird clear problem - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 12:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok

Ill post my upcoming paint job up on here experiment and we will see if the same thing happens. Ill be using a 10 cfm compressor.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisement

Last edited by ChrisMiddleron; 12-26-2004 at 12:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 10:21 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i guess i finally figured out why the guy who painted my cars says never to wax them. i have a similar wrinkled surface on the very back of my rear spoiler and only on the left side. i am glad you have all reached a concensus that a wet sand/buff in a couple days or weeks will fix it. i havent told him about it. it was three weeks after it was painted that i picked it up. it was painted about 3 weeks ago. he said he really laid the clear on thick
Old 01-05-2005, 01:07 AM

Hello
While I agree with some of what I have heard, has anyone mentioned mixing the paint wrong? I have seen this where the hardener and reducer amounts were switched by mistake by one of my painters before, or if they were not paying attention. Also, if the hardener was bad so just the top surface dried, but the paint had not hardened underneath. The paint finish dies back, you buff it shiny , dies back etc...
Old 01-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
You are right, that has all been discussed.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:16 AM

wrinkles

for whatever it is worth at this late date, I had exactly the same problem with a car I painted several years ago, My problem worked like this....I was Painting a corolla a candy purple, (Urethane) did all bodywork, sanded primed, sealed, put first coat down waited a short while, put second coat, waited put third waited put 2 coats of clear, I normally wait a 72 hours and wet sand, let sit a few days (depends on temp, lets material breath) then put last coat of clear, Yeah, I know, but remember, everyone has their pet ways.....
Anyway, when I came in the next morning half of the car looked like it was 90 years old, wrinkles. I contacted the dupont people 'cause I had never had this problem before, they came to my shop and examined the vehicle,..couldn't come to a conclusion, replaced the material I had used and went away.
I realized a day or so later that I had NOT put hardner in the second pot of clear I had put on in the first coat. The second coat of clear had worked good but the first coat was never going to dry
And, I got the same thing as already mentioned above a week later you could still put a fingernail dent in th e paint.

So, what I am saying is you may have made the same mistake or possibly not used enough catalyst in your paint or clear.

just another point of view
Old 03-05-2006, 05:33 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMiddleron
Then the color changing paint was dusted on because its like a pearl and is 160 a quart.
The thing that makes me think it was the clear was because instead of reducing the clear 8-4-1. I reduced it 8-8-1/2. 8 parts clear 8 parts reducer and 1/2 parts hardener.
all i want to know is where you get a'color changing paint" for $160 a qt?

and why would you not use the correct amount of hardner?
that be your problem.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMiddleron
That might be it here the compressor info.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...yaircompressor

It says 6.6/5.8 SCFM @ 40/90 psi.

Can you explain how that works? How lower cfm makes the paint gun spray high solvents? I use a cheap gravity feed spray gun. It does a good job though.
it sound like a mosture prob and thats why the clear staying soft, and doing funny things i say re shoot it and clear it two coats of clear, use montana clear or u-pol clear they wont be soft i promise u
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

This thread was started almost SIX years ago, and has been dormant for four and a half, until now.

So it's a little late to give advice about the guy's paint job, I think

Might want to check those dates from now on.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'm kinda glad it was brought up. I learned a little today..its amazes me that I have painted cars for over thirty years and know so little about the paint itself..and how its made.Dam Barry, now I feel like a dumas.but still....i dont think the carbon content of dark paint is the reason for the electric companies mostly using white ,the trucks are still made of steel and have rubber tires. maybee its cheaper to buy white trucks ?????? the way carbon conducts electricity would have nothing to do with why they dont have dark colored trucks...lightining dosent strike dark or metalic colored cars any more frequently than white cars ...matter of fact......a car (of any color) is the safest place to be in a lightening storm.and if you come across a downed power line you stay in or car....LOL , may god strike me down if I'm lying .....I'm standing on wood....just in case....
Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I'm kinda glad it was brought up. I learned a little today..its amazes me that I have painted cars for over thirty years and know so little about the paint itself..and how its made.Dam Barry, now I feel like a dumas.but still....i dont think the carbon content of dark paint is the reason for the electric companies mostly using white ,the trucks are still made of steel and have rubber tires. maybee its cheaper to buy white trucks ?????? the way carbon conducts electricity would have nothing to do with why they dont have dark colored trucks...lightining dosent strike dark or metalic colored cars any more frequently than white cars ...matter of fact......a car (of any color) is the safest place to be in a lightening storm.and if you come across a downed power line you stay in or car....LOL , may god strike me down if I'm lying .....I'm standing on wood....just in case....
Don't be fooled thinking those tires will insulate you..

My father (a lineman for 37 years) watched his next door neighbor hit a power line with his back hoe. the line tangled, and in a very short period of time the tires caught on fire from the current passing through them to ground. (It was not raining either)
Poor old Bing watched his hoe burn to the ground.
Burnt
Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

He sounds like a lucky man.....It's hard to find a good Hoe...The last Hoe I used ,burnd me...
I believe it...if forced too and theres enough current to push it, electricity will always find ground...but it also always takes the path of least resistance, Thats why birds can sit on power lines without being electrocuted...its easier to go through the wire...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.