Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Weird coppery metallic look in my SS black...
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingclimber
Absolutely. I actually put a fender right next to the cab and looked at it in the sun. They read the same color and look exactly the same, except where the sun is directly hitting the fender, it has a hazy look to it.

The truth is that the only place this will be noticeable is on the fenders when they're in bright sun. And even then, the casual observer would probably just think it's metallic. Or dirt since, as a practical matter, I only wash my cars once every two years.

I bought two gallons and mixed them, thinking that would be enough for a truck. Ended up shooting 3 gallons, but fortunately I had the presence of mind to do the entire front with the first two. The box doesn't ever touch the front.

Much more important at this point is probably that I properly cut and buff it. Some of the drips can only be described as Biblical in proportion
Ahhh, you bought two gallons and intermixed them! That is a whole different animal than spraying out of two DIFFERENT gallons. You DID use the exact same paint, just because you had poured them into two different cans, they were STILL the EXACT same paint.

If you got a lot of runs, I say it is solvent pop or toners settling in the thick, wet, film.

You may find yourself in trouble when you go to cut and buff those runs. Runs will often be full of air and toner concentrations and be a different color!

If you want this truck nice, I think you are going to be re-painting that bed.

But think about it long and hard before you do. I think with the minor flaws once it is all put together it will meet your expectations, which is what is most important.

Brian