Weird coppery metallic look in my SS black... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Weird coppery metallic look in my SS black...

I just shot the box of my truck with Nason SS solid black and when the sun hits it directly, it has kind of a dusty coppery look to it--almost as if there are billions of tiny bubbles in it. I thought it was covered in pollen, but I cleaned it off and it's definitely in the paint.

I shot a different gallon of the same paint on the cab and it looks fine. Anybody have any idea what this might be?

Kind of soul crushing. The end of a 4 year project and the box is always going to look dirty...

Advertisement

Last edited by wyomingclimber; 08-14-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 PM
body and paint guy

Last journal entry: delivered
Last photo:

my guess would be that someone mixed it wrong unless it was a straight toner. i know at one time sherwin williams had a black toner that they recalled because it had a brown tint in the sun. if you already know this i don't mean to offend you but there are many different black paint codes could have been a human error mixing it? i hate to say it but if you like the cab i would sand down and reshoot the bed. where did you get the nason a paint store or oreilly auto parts
Old 08-14-2010, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

I got it at a paint store.

It doesn't look like another color--the color seems right, it just looks kind of like it has billions of tiny bubbles in it. Almost as though someone put metallic in it.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I use a LOT of Nason ....did the cab and the bed get painted out of the same gallon if so how much time went by? sometimes the ingrediants settle and need a LOT of stirring...also there should be a list of the formula on a sticker stuck to the can are there any reds or russets in it??? if the bed was painted with a differnt can of paint you need to bring it back and have them GIVE you another one .THEY screwed up the mix.... it happens all the time with one dummy at the paint supply store I use, soI found out who knows paint the best and I make sure the same guy mixes my paint every time its very easy to make a mistake mixing especially if the guys not on the ball as with those auto part stores that dont specalize in paint...
Old 08-14-2010, 05:51 PM
body and paint guy

Last photo:

are you sure your no looking at solvent pop (very small bubbles in the paint from spraying to heavy or not letting the first layer dry enough before spraying another, the bottom layer of paint solvents are trying to escape through the top causeing a tiny air bubbles). this won't cause a copper look but will make it look like it has a little flake in it
Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

did you use the same brand/grade reducer on all the panels?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

I definitely used all the same stuff.

I looked up solvent pop and it seems that the surface wouldn't be completely smooth, which it is. This is in the paint. I don't have the old can to compare the formulas.

Weird and a little depressing. But at least the stupid truck is finally black. Now to get on sanding out all the drips...
Old 08-14-2010, 08:39 PM
body and paint guy

Last photo:

on the bright side if you do decide to repaint the bed it wont take near as much paint to match it
Old 08-15-2010, 04:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You didnt paint a copper colored car before this one did you?????
Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
You didnt paint a copper colored car before this one did you?????
Ha! No. This is the first and hopefully last car I will ever paint...

I think the coppery-ness of it is just the way the sun its it and its interaction with the black. They really look like billions of tiny bubbles.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
As most always on stuff like this only YOU can tell us what the difference is! You see, if you used the same exact paint to paint both things and one of them looks different than the other YOU did SOMETHING different! There is no other explanation, it is pure and simple logic, SOMETHING was done different.

Be it, more or less air pressure and it is solvent pop. It could have been laid on too wet so some toner in the color (most "Blacks" are made from a formula like any other color) came to the top. Your substrate color of the bed was different (different primer color). There isn't the same amount of coats and you are seeing the primer thru it. You didn't overlap as much and it is thin and you are seeing the primer thru it. You moved faster, again, it is thin and you are seeing the primer thru it.

SOMETHING was different in the application on those two parts, think long think hard, you did SOMETHING different.

Brian

Edit, I just re-read your post. You shot a DIFFERENT GALLON of the "same paint", that makes all the difference in the world. First off, this doesn't change the fact that you need to look at all the things YOU did as I pointed out to count out all factors. If all those factors are the same, then it MUST be the paint, right? Just using logic, if everything you did was the same on both cab and bed then the only variable is the paint it's self.

And as I write in the "Basics of Basics" on choosing a color and buying your paint. (Click here)

Tip 5. After you have your color picked for goodness sakes donít be a cheapie when buying your paint. Figure out how much youíll need for the whole job. We are talking every thing you plan on painting, outside, inside, dash, jambs, trunk, everything. When you have an idea how much, add at the very least 20% more. If one gallon is enough, buy another quart. Buy all the paint you will need before you start painting anything. Get a few extra gallon cans and use them to intermix ALL the paint. You then have all the paint you need, no mismatched parts, no running out, you are set to go. If you have a that quart left over when you are done, so what? Running out of paint is NOT pretty, it is a disaster in many cases. Now, why intermix? This is a VERY painful lesson you donít want to learn the hard way. This is it in a nutshell, if you were to go to the paint store and have three gallons of the same formula mixed you would end up with three different colors! I will bet you a dollar, here is why. Some toners are very strong, just a drip will change the color. A couple of different people could mix them, some people mix better than others. There are other variables such as one toner used gets emptied and the next toner used has more solvent in it because it is new and has less strength. Now, these colors may not be ďthatĒ different. If you were to paint three different cars with those gallons you may not even see it. But if you were to paint your hood, fenders, and quarters with the three different gallons you sure would! I repeat, this is a VERY painful lesson you donít want to have to learn the hard way, BUY ALL YOUR PAINT UP FRONT.

Last edited by MARTINSR; 08-15-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingclimber
Ha! No. This is the first and hopefully last car I will ever paint...

I think the coppery-ness of it is just the way the sun its it and its interaction with the black. They really look like billions of tiny bubbles.
This could be very true, has he pulled the cab out and looked at it in the same sun?

Brian
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
This could be very true, has he pulled the cab out and looked at it in the same sun?

Brian
Absolutely. I actually put a fender right next to the cab and looked at it in the sun. They read the same color and look exactly the same, except where the sun is directly hitting the fender, it has a hazy look to it.

The truth is that the only place this will be noticeable is on the fenders when they're in bright sun. And even then, the casual observer would probably just think it's metallic. Or dirt since, as a practical matter, I only wash my cars once every two years.

I bought two gallons and mixed them, thinking that would be enough for a truck. Ended up shooting 3 gallons, but fortunately I had the presence of mind to do the entire front with the first two. The box doesn't ever touch the front.

Much more important at this point is probably that I properly cut and buff it. Some of the drips can only be described as Biblical in proportion
Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingclimber
Absolutely. I actually put a fender right next to the cab and looked at it in the sun. They read the same color and look exactly the same, except where the sun is directly hitting the fender, it has a hazy look to it.

The truth is that the only place this will be noticeable is on the fenders when they're in bright sun. And even then, the casual observer would probably just think it's metallic. Or dirt since, as a practical matter, I only wash my cars once every two years.

I bought two gallons and mixed them, thinking that would be enough for a truck. Ended up shooting 3 gallons, but fortunately I had the presence of mind to do the entire front with the first two. The box doesn't ever touch the front.

Much more important at this point is probably that I properly cut and buff it. Some of the drips can only be described as Biblical in proportion
Ahhh, you bought two gallons and intermixed them! That is a whole different animal than spraying out of two DIFFERENT gallons. You DID use the exact same paint, just because you had poured them into two different cans, they were STILL the EXACT same paint.

If you got a lot of runs, I say it is solvent pop or toners settling in the thick, wet, film.

You may find yourself in trouble when you go to cut and buff those runs. Runs will often be full of air and toner concentrations and be a different color!

If you want this truck nice, I think you are going to be re-painting that bed.

But think about it long and hard before you do. I think with the minor flaws once it is all put together it will meet your expectations, which is what is most important.

Brian
Old 08-15-2010, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

No, no. I shot two gallons of intermixed paint, then another gallon. It's that last gallon that I had problems with.

Man, I hope where I have drips isn't a problem. That's all I need...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.